How many biological researchers here have ever read THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES

csjonline

Were you ever asked to read The origin of species in college?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Were you ever asked to read The origin of species in college?

• Yes, and it's a requirement
    • Yes, but it's an optional
    • No, but my teacher ever talked about it
    • No, and my teacher forced us never to do this

The origin of species, the classic book that creates the true modern biology, was nerver introduced to us when we had been studying biology in college (well, in China, at least). Is it too outdated? Or, the so-called modern biologists don't need the old idea any longer? I feel so confused. Could someone here talk about the topic? I think I need more opinions. :confused:

It's essential reading for the 'history of science', but it's far easier and more useful to read more current texts to get an understanding of evolution.

I don't think so. By reading the "old" scientific works, we can learn some basic methods to resovle the problems we met today. Suppose if you were in the era of Darwin's, can you discover the similar rules about living things' evolution (even give you the same data collected by Darwin)? ;) That is, our brains today did not surpass those scientists living hundreds of years ago. Could you just say we don't need to learn from them?

In my opinion, we need not learn results from Darwin's book, but his methods that resolved his questions.

In my opinion, we need not learn results from Darwin's book, but his methods that resolved his questions.

What - study theology, and travel half way round the world by boat? Haha, only kidding- I'm not denying he was a great scientist, and you can learn a lot from reading his work - maybe I should have said it is more efficient to read current stuff...

Guest magister

Reading good, relatively modern texts is more efficient for learning evolutionary biology because they have the significant advantage of having access to almost 150 years of accumulated knowledge. There's also the slight matter of Darwin's prose style which is graceful in its own Victorian way, however some students might find it a little tiresome to wade through its sometimes convoluted structure. The Origin of Species is a undoubtedly a pillar of scientific thought, but it probably shouldn't be mandatory reading for biology students (at least casual ones). Rather, it should be encouraged to people who want to supplement their knowledge of evolutionary biology with its historical aspect, a not-so trivial thing at all, especially for students going on to study at a higher level.

Guest magister

Yes indeed, but I would be happy if creationists would read any respected book on evolutionary biology and not just the dross they claim as legitimate scolarship refuting the ToE.

fiven that evolution today is based more on the modern synthesis that darwin's original work, I am inclined to agree with those who say that modern texts are more practical to read.

it's still a good read, plus darwinism is the prevalent theory that many scientists embrace, so why not start with the original theory and then move on to the current developments of it? ;)

5 times!! why need you read it so many times? are you a teacher?

i suppose that the more one reads the exact same materiel, the more he/she will remember the finer and easily forgettable points in the texts. also considering that much of scientific text can be very hard to read, let alone grasp on the 1st time, reading it a few more times if possible make it easier. plus some points won't make any sence immediatly after reading the materiel. therefore after some time it'll sinc in - more or less to the effect of a light-bulb suddenly lightning over one's head and he goes - 'oh now why didn't i think of that before' that and when reading yet another time helps as it would only reinforce the matter ;)

It was probably more than 5 times. I haven't read it lately because someone borrowed my copy and never returned it.

Why do you read a book more than once? The above statement is very correct and it is quite an enjoyable book. At least that is my opinion.