Modifying genes to double lifespan

blike

According to NewScientist, a team of US scientists have successfully doubled the lifespan of the nematode worm without any apparant side-effects.

"The gene, called daf-2, is also found in fruit flies and mice, and Kenyon thinks it is possible that it is present in humans. Interfering with this gene in a similar way might also safely extend the human lifespan, she says."

Check out the article here.

Journal reference: Science (vol 289, p 830)

I did a small report on that article for my Bio class, due today (Friday).

All I said was what's the problem with making people infertile while doubling their lifespan? (Only if this gene is found in humans and behaves in a smiliar manner) It would control the human population which is growing at a huge rate. And.....the only way people would agree to live twice as long would be if all the diseases that came with old age were cured. You wouldn't want Alhiemzer's in your 170's now would ya?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Originally posted by blike

According to NewScientist, a team of US scientists have successfully doubled the lifespan of the nematode worm without any apparant side-effects.

Check out the article here.

Well, a link on the same news article points toward this

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992890

which is the UK's Nobel prize-winning effort on the extension of life in worms. A slightly better constructed article actually explains the process, I suspect because the scientist explaining it understood what he was doing. Unlike the report from the unnamed US research centre, probably in a trailer park out south, in an article published just 17 days after the Nobel prize was awarded.

Genius.