Its our New Year

bloodhound

well, for me maths and sciences were easy. but they way they teach english and other subjects here are totally different. I just managed to get a C is english language and another C is literature. Apparently thats whats need to be able to do a levels

• 4 months later...

I am slightly ashamed to say that though being a hindu i know little about the hindu calender. :((

Does anyone (Leison or bloodhound in particular) know why there are different variations in the calender.....I saw a "Vikram" year and a "Saka" year ??

what do u mean ? ahead of what?how?

bloodhound said it was the year 2061, thats ahead of the english/american calenda who are in the year 2004, so how come, in nepal the 'year' is ahead of us, when was the year '0' for people in nepal?

Because the hindu calender is based on lunar cycles, as it happens our new year (we call it "maha sankranti") is not a fixed date in the english calender.

If you start both the calenders at the same day, still the hindu one would be ahead, because the year is slightly smaller.

the jewish month is also lunar based, it is also shorter than the english year, however [this is random] 7 times every 19 jewish years, there's a extra month added. there always has been, dunno if its to do with christian year or not...

but the jewish year is something like 5764 at the moment, but the new year is coming up in a few weeks.

bloodhound said it was the year 2061, thats ahead of the english/american calenda who are in the year 2004, so how come, in nepal the 'year' is ahead of us, when was the year '0' for people in nepal?

we follow "bikram sambat" calen. and now it is 2061 B.S .

history:

there was once a king named Bikramaditya from India .He freed all the countrymen from debt by paying a huge amount of money personally.so in his honor the new calen was started from his name .'0' year was from his time.

we have another year "nepal sambat" and it is 1124 N.S .

history:

a simple farmer named Sankhadhar Sakhwa paid all the debt of the people .How ?

A king of Malla dynasty of his time ,once sent many servants at night of special day to fetch the sand of the river. Sankhadhar as he was clever thought of the strange activity of the king and he bribed the servants and told them to put those sand in this backyard instead of taking them to the king. next day he woke up and went to backyard to see what had happened to those sand.To his surprise, all the sand had turned to gold. then instead of keeping them in this personal account he freed the people from debt and started a new "Nepal Sambat" .

debate

there is still a debate that whose calendar should we follow "BS or NS" .

BS is from India and NS from nepal originally but government follows BS .Some old people specially the Newars from the Kathmandu Valley still follows the nepal sambat.

I am slightly ashamed to say that though being a hindu i know little about the hindu calender. :((

Does anyone (Leison or bloodhound in particular) know why there are different variations in the calender.....I saw a "Vikram" year and a "Saka" year ??

never heard of "Saka".