can man Fly!

Pradeepkumar

I have got an idea about making man to fly around.

As Neil Armstrong said one can jump very high in the moon.

That is because , the gravity in the moon is 1/6 that of Earth.

Let us consider the gravity in the Earth to be 1.

If we can increase the gravity by 5 or 6 and practise there ,we might be able to fly(jump very high) about in the Earth.

I want some suggestions about my post.Reply me.

Holy thys of steel, Batman!

Energy-wise, jumping 6 G's a couple feet in the air would be like squatting halfway down in 1 G with 5.5 times your weight in dumbells strapped to you, and jumping a couple feet in the air.

Once you've worked out in 6 G's to jump 2 feet, now you want to impart the same energy to your jump when you're at 1 G. It would feel like pushing on air. You have to push a lot faster against less resistance to get the same energy into it.

Edited by booker

If you just want to train your muscles, you can do that (as booker said) by strapping weights to you.

Assuming you are 70 kg, to simulate 5G, you need to carry a total of 350 kg. So, you need to strap an additional 280 kg to your body.

Good luck! :D

I think this is easier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossamer_Albatross

If we can increase the gravity by 5 or 6 and practise there ,we might be able to fly(jump very high) about in the Earth.

No matter how high you increase gravity (or how much weight you strap to yourself), muscles can only increase so much. There is a limit to what they can do. Otherwise you would see people far stronger in the Olympics (and other sporting events). Even with drugs there is still a limit.

I have got an idea about making man to fly around.

As Neil Armstrong said one can jump very high in the moon.

That is because , the gravity in the moon is 1/6 that of Earth.

Let us consider the gravity in the Earth to be 1.

That would be akin to a man who weighs 200lbs carrying around 800 lbs of weights constantly. I get the feeling that if it were me that either my arms or legs would break of my knees would snap! :eek:

In any case that would make your legs strong (increasing mass of slow twitch muslces). What you need to do is to make them fast as well (increase mass of fast twitch muscles).

Pete

Why on Earth would you increase Gravity to get up off the ground?

Is it you or I who's mistaken?

I believe the idea would be to train the muscles in a higher gravity, then return gravity to normal (or return to Earth from a higher gravity environment) so our muscles would allow us to leap prodigiously, short of actual flight.

I saw an old Kung Fu movie once. The guy in that trained for months (under the supervision of his Kung Fu Master - so don't try this at home) with extreamly heavy weights on his feet. When he took them off, he could jump over a house!!!! (He also shoved his hands continuousy into hot coals to make himself alot harder. )

In a film called "The fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe", Shanghai Joe takes off from a horisontal lying position on the floor into a flying kick to some guy's head who is sitting on a horse. Now I can't explain this one at all! We played it back in slow motion loads of times and we can't even see him push off of the floor with a hand even! He just seems to levitate off the ground into his flying kick. How he does it is way beyond me.

Are there any Kung Fu Masters here that can explain this apparent waver of the laws of physics for Shanghai Joe? :D

I used to train in kung fu wearing weights. We'd do our normal workouts, then do the same workout with ankle weights, then do the same workout with ankle weights AND wrist weights, then do the same workout with ankle and wrist weights AND weight vests. By the time I had all of the weights strapped on I'd be 110 lbs heavier.

We'd do this often. Everything from kata, to sparring, to stationary punches and kicks, to pushups/situps, to frog leaps (where you jump from a squatting position as high as you can, reaching upward, and kicking your own ass with your feet).

We'd do this for weeks at a time. Then, when the weights were removed, our muscles were much stronger, adapted to "higher gravity" conditions, and we could bounce around very quickly and jump incredibly high and far.

It's just a matter of training the muscles in an environment that is more difficult, and then being that much better when the environment is easier. It's like playing a video game on Difficult setting to get better at it and then playing it on Easy setting and completely dominating, or why Superman was normal on Krypton but super on Earth.

It's not a waiver of physical laws, just an exploitation of them.

I used to train in kung fu wearing weights.

I used to run with ankle weights on as well. When you take them off after wearing them out for runs for a few weeks it's amazing! Really suprized my dog when I went sprinting past him :D he used to beat me (he was getting older, but was still just faster - after the weights came off I left him behind and he genuine showed signs of great suprise).

It's not a waiver of physical laws, just an exploitation of them.

LOL! You've never seen The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe then iNow.:D It is ridiculus!!!:D:D As I said - he takes off from a prone position into a flying kick to get some guy on horseback. We played it in slowmo and he literally levitates off the ground without exerting any force back to the ground at all - this DOES disobey Sir Issac's rules! :D

LOL! You've never seen The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe then iNow.:D It is ridiculus!!!:D:D As I said - he takes off from a prone position into a flying kick to get some guy on horseback. We played it in slowmo and he literally levitates off the ground without exerting any force back to the ground at all - this DOES disobey Sir Issac's rules! :D
I knew a guy whose grandpa worked as an editor in Hollywood in the late 50's for the show Wanted: Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen. He had some outtakes from the cutting room floor and in one set his grandad had put together, McQueen was supposed to shoot this guy point blank in a gunfight with that awesome little sawed-off 30-30 of his. The director didn't like the first take because he felt the guy should fly backwards under the impact, so they rigged a harness with a wire through the wall behind the guy.

After several takes where the handler couldn't get the timing right, they decided to put a couple more people handling the wire behind the wall. In the last outtake, McQueen shoots the guy and he is lifted off his feet to crash into the set wall ten feet behind him, punching a hole and revealing three laborers holding onto a length of wire and wooden handles.

One wall broken, one actor's pride broken, but no laws broken. And one bounty collected by the oh-so-cool Josh Randall.

I knew a guy whose grandpa worked as an editor in Hollywood in the late 50's....

Cool. :cool:

.... so they rigged a harness with a wire through the wall behind the guy.

Yea - they may have used wires. I haven't seen the film for years but I reckon they might have reversed a film of him falling backwards onto the sand so it looks like he just takes off.

That's nothing. I saw a movie once where a guy levitated a starfighter out of a swamp - without even touching it! He was trained by a muppet, IIRC.

LOL - funny, although there is an in film explanation for that one (and I'm a bit of a fan!)- Joe just takes off without any special powers at all.

I used to train in kung fu wearing weights.

When I was training in Kung Fu I considered doing that but decided not too. The risk of damage to my knees from strain and jolting was too great. That's important to remember on this topic. While you might get the impression that muscle mass can increase without bound it really can't. Even with an increase in muscle mass due to strength training the speed of muscles won't neccesarily increase. So while your legs might get very powerful it in no way means that you'd set a record in high jumping. The training for height of jumps is different than that of strength training of legs.

Pete

So if a 200 lb person goes to have lipo suction - then can they jump over a house? :D
Liposuction is done in about 10 lb increments, each requiring at least a day in between. Would you lose your added muscle after 20 days of surgical procedures, laying around recuperating? I think I'd lose my will to live long before I lost the 200 lbs.

• 5 weeks later...