Homebuilt Cathode Ray Tube

AtomicTest

Since high school (about 25 years ago) I have always wanted to make a CRT from a Vacuum Filtration Flask. After viewing Nyle Steiners project, I was inspired to give it a try. Below is a photo of the project and the link is to my youtube video of the same project.

Over the next several weeks, I plan on making a new electron gun with a more focused beam. Furthermore, the copper anode in the one pictured has caused a messy sputtering issue. Aluminum or stainless will be employed in the newer version.

Once done, the new video will have both deflection coils activated with a signal generator.

Mark

CRT.jpg

• 3 months later...

Good evening,

Hopefully you could point me in the right direction. I need to build a Cathode Ray Tube for my Chemistry class and truthfully, I have no idea where to begin. I understand the concept but I can't find a website that shows exactly what materials to buy and how to put them together. The CRT above is impressive. I am looking to build a much simpler version of the one above. Any comments or ideas? Thanks,

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...