latex/pill intolerance and evolution

Dak

is there any evidence that latex intolerance (or intolerance to the pill, etc) is on the increase?

I'm thinking that if there's a genetic basis, there should be some kind of reproductive benifit to having a harder time using contraception, but i can't find any papers on it.

Another question to accompany the OP. Is there evidence of intolerance to the pill at all and how would you know? I presume that intolerance would manifest in some immunological or biological contra-indications. From doing a (very) cursory search, it seems that there are only a few contra-indications and most doctors do not seem to hesitate to prescribe oral contraceptives (OC). I found some reference to adverse effects of using OC's:

The first suggested that a low amount of women were more likely to be susceptible to venous thromboembolism to certain OC's (possibly due to resistance effects to activated protein C in OC's containing desogestrel). However, these effects were then discounted http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/321/7255/190

Other studies also seem to indicate that OC's are well tolerated in women http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/571231_4

Perhaps it may be wise to say that the jury is still out on this isuue and that evidence of resistance is scant.

• 4 weeks later...

Two points:

First, there haven't been many generations since the introduction of contraception, so there hasn't been much time to adapt.

Second, if someone had a mutation that made them resistant to the pill (or, god forbid, a mutation that destroyed condoms) they would most likely use a different method of contraception rather than just having unprotected sex.

And then there are things such as what christiannnna brought up.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! So we're speaking of things like an allergic reaction to latex/oral contraceptives. Thanks, I get it now. I thought it meant that latex condoms or oral contraceptives don't "work" effectively.

Is there really any evidence that those with an intolerance to latex or oral contraceptives have a higher rate of pregnancy? Besides, can't an in utero contraceptive also be used in areas where it is available?