My Last Letter - GM "Chairman"

ParanoiA

First Solar as far as I can tell has been successful as they only manufacture cadmium telluride cells.

also in the real world you are paying for the real price of subsidized solar, its just that you pay the tax for it whether or not you use it. Also the subsidy acts as an income redistribution mechanism based on geography, as only areas with enough sun to have solar be effective get the benefit.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the subsidy acts as an income redistribution mechanism based on geography, as only areas with enough sun to have solar be effective get the benefit.
Oh hey, guess what? The technology advances which you seem to be arguing against have already diminished this concern:

http://my-solar-panel.blogspot.com/2007/11/solar-panels-for-cloudy-days.html

Good news is that scientists and solar inventors have created plastic solar cells which can be relied upon to produce electric power out of solar energy even on a cloudy or even rainy day.
I'm *so* glad there are people out there who are thinking beyond current costs and obstacles like no-sun days. Prices are still quite high TODAY, but we've already covered how mass-production due to increased demand creates competition which lowers costs.

Oh hey, guess what? Costs are being lowered in other ways besides mass-production! Who would have thought that human ingenuity could be so ingenious?:

http://www.biosolar.com/view_news.php?id=29

BioSolar, Inc. (OTC BB: BSRC), developer of a breakthrough technology to produce bio-based materials from renewable plant sources that reduce the cost of photovoltaic solar cells, today announced it has selected Connecticut-based Rowland Technologies, Inc., a leading manufacturer of plastic film and sheet, as its manufacturing partner for full-scale production of the company’s flagship BioBacksheet™ solar cell component.

I think it's great that, despite whisper campaigns, negative-message marketing and naysayers in general, solar technology moves ahead. I look forward to GMs efforts to produce EVs like the Volt. It's a good transition vehicle and sets the stage for a future in which innovation isn't stifled by the limitations of internal combustion.

phi for all from the same website on plastic cells

This can be good news in itself, although most premier quality commercial plastic solar cells are very expensive, which means most home solar panels made of this type of cells will be quite steep in price and therefore unaffordable to the ordinary homeowners and consumers.

also my original point is still in effect on subsidies since the amount of solar energy that comes down on a clear day is still greater in nevada than it is in maine. Further the technology cannot work as advertised as the clouds will stop a significant portion of the light, you can't capture what never reaches you. The best they could do is shift the absorbing frequencies to those that will penetrate the clouds, rather than the optimum to receive the most energy on a clear day.

I also fin it interesting that BioSolar doesn't say how much their technology will reduce costs just that it will... most companies blast it out to the world how much their technology will reduce costs.

All the more reason to include it, right?

include what? I just said that you will pay the full cost of solar whether its subsidized or not. So we should only work in real unsubsidized dollars.