Meditation vs. Sleep

Taktiq

I wasn't sure where to post this...

Being a former practicing Buddhist, I used to meditate regularly. We all know the regular benefits of meditation such as better circulation and respiration along with lowering stress, etc. But, I read once a very long time ago (don't recall where or I'd read it again) that, deep meditation, in some instances is just as good as a short nap. Has anyone ever heard of this and is there any validity to it?

What are the effects of sleep on the brain and body?

What are the effects of meditation on the brain and body?

To what extent is there overlap in those effects?

There's your answer.

Well, the problem there is that sleep, in my experience, doesn't consistently lower stress levels nor help with respiration (I'm asthmatic) the way focused meditation does. Also, I'd have to point out how many times I've had restless sleep vs. the calmness I've always felt from meditating. Maybe, I answered my own question but, still I do recall reading something about meditation being as good as sleep, in some instances and I'm wondering if there were any studies that supported that or not.

Dang, I need to start meditating again...

Yes, but can meditation give you the benefits of REM sleep?

Meditation may be as good as a short nap, like you said, but a short nap doesn't really do much more than to calm you down to a rest state, does it?

So you could easily substitute your naps with meditation, but many people, such as myself, don't nap at all, and don't get worked up enough during the day to require it.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't think that any of the benefits of meditation compare to the benefits of REM sleep, not to mention REM Behavior Disorder. Meditation never really seemed like any replacement to a good nap, sure, it may calm you down a little, but it was never refreshing. My sleep isn't always refreshing, but it is the rest that counts.

I stumbled upon this a while ago while looking up the topic under debate.

http://www.psipog.net/blog/2006/08/sleep-vs-meditation.html

During my Kendo training in february 2005 to december 2006 I used to meditate a lot. During our meditation sessions, we were told to think about what we have learned during the practise session at the same time we were meditating.

In the way I have experienced meditation is that meditation calms me down and that the meditation really has a positive effect on myself even when I'm outside the dojo.

Sometimes it can happen things in life which may cause worrying or other things which can affect the stomach, so I believe that meditation is something very positive but it's hard for me to know scientifically how the body benefits from meditation.

Good food is a high priority for me these days and it wouldn't surprise me if actually good food can replace or have the same effect as meditation, but I don't think so. Unlike meditation it is unquestionable that the body works better with good food, though.

A short nap is required when we are physically stressed. Meditation is required when we are mentally and emotionally stressed. And we just can’t do without deep sleep.

IMO, meditation is about neutralizing ones own emotional state through practicing concentration and mental focus, and at the same time not practicing not stressing about the concentration effort involved.

Meditation can be started on something as simple as closely observing the light, movement and heat of a candle flame for as long as you can, up to a period of about 30mins, or longer if you like. You must practice not allowing any other thoughts, besides for e.g. the candle, to enter your mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also heard somewhere that meditating is just as good as a quick nap. But over a long term of meditating instead of sleeping, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be quite as energizing as a few good hours of sleep is.

I think that if you meditate instead of sleeping, your energy will be used up faster, and you will have less of it.

Because technically your not really giving your body a rest... so your still using up energy as you meditate.