Canadian Online Degrees?

iPeppers

Just wondering if anyone knew of any good online degrees that I could get in Canada? Accredited and recognized by any future employers of course.

Something nice in biology or computer science/programming would be great, or bioinformatics or something.

Several universities offer distance learning courses. Whether you can get a full degree that way, I'm not sure. I know that the universities of Waterloo, Carleton, Winnipeg, and BC all offer distance learning because their classes used to be available on my TV in the middle of the night, but I never looked into it beyond that.

Sometimes arthritis-induced insomnia can be quite educational.

Since you are looking for online courses, it might be beneficial to cast your net wider and look for any institutions which offer internationally-recognised qualifications. That way you are not just limited to what is on offer in Canada.

Alrighty, thank you both very much, good advice. Yes, I knew that Carleton at least had some courses on cutv, because my chemistry class was filmed. But, I never really thought to look outside of Canada >.<

Are there any good colleges then that would let me do a whole program online? Because I think the universities are leaning towards only a few courses here and there, if they are all like Carleton. So that would be a diploma as opposed to a degree.

I was doing a BSc in computing, but had to drop it as my training course in the police includes its own internal work plus a foundation degree, so it wasn't feasible to study externally for the next two years.

The OU courses are modular though, so I was able to use the credits I had already earned to get a lesser certification :D

Here's the Canada specific course page

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/Canada.shtm

Yes it's more expensive, and unfortunately you can't register for financial support as that's government funded. Also, as mentioned, tutorials might be an issue i.e it's very unlikely you'll get them (I'm not sure how it works for overseas.) However you will get full tutor support via E-mail / telephone et.c

Being a student with the OU myself, I certainly recommend it, and I've really enjoyed the last 3 years studying...it is hard work (depending on your situation), but very rewarding all the same.

EDIT: Another thing is getting lab experience, which in the UK isn't an issue (but does come at extra cost) so I'd look into that as well.

Edited by Snail

Wow, those are some pretty expensive courses to take in Canada! Thanks for the info and site links though, I will definitely have to look into this. Right now I am going for an advanced diploma in computer systems technology, but I've taken a few courses at the university level, and it's going to be a big goal in my life to eventually get a science degree (probably in biology). Science interests me enough to spend hours reading random threads on this forum in my spare time, so why not?

Oh, and what's with the points beside each course on the Canada page that was linked by Snail? Could someone briefly explain how one would go about getting a degree from this university, please. How many points and courses would one need from each level, and that sort of thing. I'm used to very rigid programs where the university pretty much tells you all the courses you have to take for the program you are in, with not much in the way of flexibility.

Edited by iPeppers
Another question.

Well with my degree i.e BSc Hons (Physics) I need 360 points, if you search for the degree you wish to complete, it will give you a list of courses and their respective points.

Short courses which are restricted to Level 1 are worth 10 points, and are really introductory material for future courses.

Then you have 30 point courses, which span from Level 1 to 3. It's possible to take two 30 point courses in one year, depending on your commitments outside of study, or the subject. For instance my math wasn't up to scratch so I did a 10 point and a 30 point course one year, but I could of done 60 points on retrospect...ho hum.

Then you have 60 point courses, which unless you're retired or have lots of time are recommended for a years study. Again it depends if you're already familiar with the subject et.c

So far I'm approaching 160 points (a mix of level 1 and level 2 courses), and I've been studying for nearly 3 years. All these points are counting towards my final degree, providing I'm successfull, obviously.