KDE/Gnome vs. Windows (GUI)

Guest Syntax

I've been looking at the new Gnome and KDE distributions and I'm comparing them to that of Windows and noticing the resemblence of the three. Which do you think will come out on top in the future, and why?

The new gnome is featured in RedHat Linux 8.0, and you can see the Bluecurve theme in action. Click the link (requires flash)here

---

and look at the new KDE here

:worship:

Gnome and KDE both have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, Gnome has higher recommended system specs than that of KDE; but the GTK - which gnome uses for its GUIs - are portable not only across platforms but also different languages too.

• 8 years later...

LOL, KDE vs. Gnome is indeed still relevant in 2011... this is a thread that's worth digging up. Excellent remark by timo (post #11).

Anyway, I dislike windows... I never seem to be able to solve any problems in it. And every action you take, and every program/update you install seems to make a Windows computer slower. In my Ubuntu/Gnome computer, that's much easier, and it never gets any slower... ever. Not much experience with KDE - not enough for a comparison.

The main downside of Linux is that the Open Office is still not as good as MS Office, and that (I think) is one of the main reasons that Windows sells so well.

Yeh windows is generally more user friendly too, i use gnome on ubuntu and have used KDE on slackware but theres no definate winner in my books, its good that you can use different GUI's per-say on linux though, definitely has more features than windows GUI even if its not quite as user friendly as an OS

• 3 weeks later...