being struck by lightening

Belledonna

I tried to post this once and it did not seem to work so forgive me if it posts twice. I was walkng across a dirt field heading for safety as a thunderstorm approached. I had friends around me. I felt the hair on my body standing up. It felt like someone was throwing sand at me and in my clothes. I turned around and no ne was doing it. A second later all of my friends were screaming terrified, and I asked what was wrong They screamed at me: "You were hit by lightening, didn't you see it, didn't you hear it, didn't you feel it." They said the lightening actually hit me, that it was blinding bright and thunderous (no pun intended). I did not see it, hear it and only felt the hair standng up on my body. Why didn't I see it ,or hear it, or feel it more than I did.

I tried to post this once and it did not seem to work so forgive me if it posts twice. I was walkng across a dirt field heading for safety as a thunderstorm approached. I had friends around me. I felt the hair on my body standing up. It felt like someone was throwing sand at me and in my clothes. I turned around and no ne was doing it. A second later all of my friends were screaming terrified, and I asked what was wrong They screamed at me: "You were hit by lightening, didn't you see it, didn't you hear it, didn't you feel it." They said the lightening actually hit me, that it was blinding bright and thunderous (no pun intended). I did not see it, hear it and only felt the hair standng up on my body. Why didn't I see it ,or hear it, or feel it more than I did.

You're not the first story similar to this that I've read... there's a good chance it hit you and earthed before doing any real damage... some people I've read about have had burns others have not... you're lucky though!

I have to say that all the ones I've read the people have known, and in most cases been knocked to the ground... or in one case she was on a jetski and thrown off of it, she was pefectly fine though, someone caught that on vid...

I'm honestly not sure, but even if they were grounded, wouldn't the impact (for lack of a better word) "jolt" the person? I mean, we all have our hairs stand up from time to time, but that's hardly the only outcome from a lightning strike. I just don't even see this story as remotely feasible, but am open to correction.

I doubt very much it was a joke, my friends were really upset and took me to the nurses office who called my mom, who called out family doctor. He said to keep an eye on me but if I seemed fine he wasn't worried. Some people have accidents and amnesia for the incident could that be a possibility

Some people have accidents and amnesia for the incident could that be a possibility

Especially where electricity is involved. I know someone who was electrocuted and didn't even remember it happening. They just though that they tripped over power cord and fell onto the ground, but instead they were electrocuted by a wall socket (it had been raining and water had got into the plug). So it is quite possible that you have amnesia caused by the electricity of the lightning and that is why you don't remember getting hit.

You could try looking for an exit wound where the electricity left you body. There might be a small burn (it can be surprisingly small).

If you are really worried, of course, see your doctor.

Especially where electricity is involved. I know someone who was electrocuted and didn't even remember it happening. They just though that they tripped over power cord and fell onto the ground, but instead they were electrocuted by a wall socket (it had been raining and water had got into the plug). So it is quite possible that you have amnesia caused by the electricity of the lightning and that is why you don't remember getting hit.

First time I got shocked I was at the crawling stage of life. Second time was in the ninth grade, electricity stopped in my shoulder I think, it felt weird going through my arm. Had some electricity subliminate stainless steel I was holding, thought I had isolated the system but was wrong:D I was outside during a lighting storm when a bolt must have hit nearby, my teeth hurt and the noise was so loud and brief plus I think a window or two got shattered, that was just plain scary.

I`v been hit twice, directly and indirectly, the direct hit I don`t rem much but when I came around my mate was kicking me!

the indirect hit was just strange, it didn`t hurt at all, but rather my whole body just felt like the static you get on a blank TV station and I could see purpley/blue arcs coming off my elbow and running across the table top like fingers and a glow around my hand that was holding the microphone.

neither really hurt me, in fact it felt kinda neat and not at all unpleasant (unlike Mains voltage of which I`v had 100`s).

the direct hit I don`t rem much but when I came around my mate was kicking me!
You have to expand on this, otherwise I'm left with too much conjecture, such as:

1) Kicking is the standard field treatment for lightning victims

2) Your mate wasn't trying to put you down, he was trying to put you out

3) He was angry because you took his turn at being struck

4) Your mate didn't want to get char on his hands

non of the above sorry to say, he was shouting "wake up ugly" whilst doing it, you have to remember though, us beer drinking biker types have a strange sense of compassion.

we`ve all grown up quite a bit since then however ;)

I have been shocked MANY times and when I really think about it its hard to really remember what it feels like. Being tazed was one of the most painful but the only part of the sensation that's really memorable other than the extreme pain was the clicking noise inside my head.

And whats the point of drinking non-alcoholic beer. The chow hall here serves it but I really dont see the point.

Thank you for your comments. I wasn't dazed, but I was confused thinking someone was throwing sand at me and down my clothes. I was surprised to hear everyone saying lightenig hit me,that is was so bright and so loud. I would love to find the exact spot on the ground to see if there is the molten sand/glass. I don't have any exit wounds that I can find.

Regardless of what happened, and if you can or cannot find the spot, we're glad you're okay, Belladonna, and more, that you are here to share the story and ask such good questions. :)