A (mabey crazy) theory on perception of time

Okay ive tried a couple drugs like acid once and a few other drugs. When your on these drugs, your perception of time is slowed down. and with other drugs it's sped up. Now this is what happens when your brain reacts to certain drugs.

now what if that means, our brain controls our perception of time. if anyone here has ever been in a fight, or had an big accident or fell off a bike. sometimes, time just slows directly down.. like impossibly slow, if time was like that an hour would feel like weeks. that means time is merely a perception. Now our brain is amazingly advanced. what if time was constantly fluxuating, moving back in time forth. constantly moving minutes, weeks even months back in time. or going forward a month, then back 2 weeks.

going really fast, then slowing down, then going fast backwards.. then slowing forwards. what if our brain took EVERYTHING in constantly, and layed it out for you in a way you could understand a line, a single line and turned all this backwards forwards movement time does and puts it into a straight line and does this seperately from the rest of the brain which controls memory and is completely subconcious and unconnected with memory or anything like that.

mabey certain drugs can slow down time, because it messes with the brains time speed function. mabey the back and forth through time may not be true, but what if the speed was. and the brain leveled out the speed so it was always normal. that would explain how a drug can so widely change our speed because it ruins the brains ability to do it properly and it slows it down. or even things like slowing it down for a accident.

what if we could learn how to slow it down permanently or speed it up permanently?

and if this is all true, then time could just be a constantly changing and moving thing and our brain just an amazing interpretation that takes it all in and puts it out in the proper order for us too see.

this may sound crazy, im only 17 and don't know if this acually sounds reasonable or not.

First, this is far from modern or theoretical physics.

Second, you might benefit from watching this. It's a segment from a special done on Discovery channel with Michio Kaku (who is a physicist :D ):

our perception is controlled by our body and our brain together

to slow down your perception of time, you would have to speed up you body and your mind perminantly, this would put to much stress on the body and eventually cause death

if you sped up your perception of time, you would have to slow down your body and your mind perminantly, this would put to much stress on the mind (though you would still be alive) you would go insane in about a month

to slow down your perception of time, you would have to speed up you body and your mind perminantly, this would put to much stress on the body and eventually cause death

if you sped up your perception of time, you would have to slow down your body and your mind perminantly, this would put to much stress on the mind (though you would still be alive) you would go insane in about a month

Alan, this seems false, completely made up, and even runs counter to the studies in the video I shared just a few posts ago. Can you support your comments with anything more than just personal assertion?

As my favorite science teacher once said:

"Time definitely slows down when you feel pain. If you don't believe me, go home, and gently rest your face on your stove. I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about after a few seconds."

Perception of time is a funny thing. It is not directly related to cellular function per se, that is, an increase of APs per time does not translate into a slower perception of time.

A classic experiment by Libet showed that a stimulus requires around 500 ms to enter the brain, however subjectively you experience it in half the time. The reason is that your brain backdates this sensation, giving you the illusion that you can feel a stimulus 250 ms before it actually reached your brain. This is the reason, why we feel stimuli subjectively as almost immediate (e.g. upon touch) rather than with a half-second or so delay, which we actually do.

Drugs that fiddle with this type of perception can easily mess up your sense of timing.

I should add that Libets findings came under some serious discussion around 2000, but I think the gist of it still holds true.

• 2 weeks later...
First, this is far from modern or theoretical physics.

Second, you might benefit from watching this. It's a segment from a special done on Discovery channel with Michio Kaku (who is a physicist :D ):

Is this the physics category? I'm lost, I think. It say's psychiatry/psychology doesn't it? Where am I?

Is this the physics category? I'm lost, I think. It say's psychiatry/psychology doesn't it? Where am I?

good video. doesn't surprise me. Time seems longer when you're bored and shorter when you're having fun. Is Real time flexable or not? I think not. I don't subscribe to SR. I have issues.

Is Real time flexable or not?

I think real time is flexible. But if we all experience roughly the same movement through time, then it is hard to notice. What if different areas of the universe traveled faster or slower through time? Would we be able to detect that?

Anywho, I think it has been proven that the faster you travel through the spatial dimensions, the slower you travel through the time dimension and vice versa. The whole twin paradox thingy. It causes slight differences in time synchronization all the time doesn't it? I mean with satellites and airplanes traveling at higher speeds relative to the rest of us.

It was originally posted in the Theoretical and Modern Physics section, but as of Post #5 it is now housed in Psych and Psychiatry. :)