Global warming & energy problems

JHAQ

Why is it that in all the talk about reaching tipping points in both subject events , very little mention is made of the effect of relentless & exploitive population growth & the "footprint " each new individual makes on the environment & any attempts to control this ? Is it because of such debate is considered being politically incorrect as it would arouse the ire of pro life , pro euthansia or certain religious entities ?

Perhaps, but the potential carbon footprint of a person (i.e. how industrialized the country is) has a negative correlation with birth rate in most instances. The problems of food and clean water that are more to the fore when you discuss birth rates, because it's the poorest countries that tend to lack these the most.

Edited by swansont
fix typo

I've read many times that 75% of air pollution is from automotive sources. That suggests to me that eliminating automotive sources alone, while certainly not solving the energy problem, would clean up the air tremendously. I mention that in this context not to suggest a course of action, but just to point out that current perceptions of what constitutes a crowded planet and an endangered environment may not be valid if the basic formula of society (esp wrt energy) is gradually adjusted to something more compatible. That's not to say that you're wrong, though -- we should be aware of population growth as an issue.