Obtaining KNO3 on the cheap.

curiouslou

Here is the basic question, I can no find a cheap source of Potassium Nitrate within my local area. I have read on the internet about lengthy refinement methods and i have purchased the product of Ebay (for an expensive $15 a pound), however I am certain that it must be able to be attained cheaper. I have rang 5 nurseries and out of the three who knew what it was, only one stocked it. However the one who stocked it refused to sell it to me, openly expressing his assumptions that I will be using it to make explosives. anyway, the basic question is, "Where can i get KNO3 in Sydney". I hope that i dont sound like a complete idiot as this is my first post and i hope to bcome more self reliant in the future.

Thankyou all.

Some chemicals are rather expensive if you don't buy them in very large amounts, there isn't really any way around it. And chemicals like KNO3 and other nitrates normally require some sort of license so you can buy them in large amounts. 15$ is indeed very expensive but there are companies that purchase their chemicals directly from the actual manufacturers in huge bulks, and then sell them to people who require reasonably large amounts for a reasonably good price, effectively circumventing the need for an institute/company license. However I'm not sure how legal this is in most countries as the only company I've dealt with doesn't exist anymore. :P

Also, you should look for pyrotechnics companies. One I've done business with with sells KNO3 for around $6 a pound if you buy ~30 pounds, no licenses needed (actually, they don't even require the customer to be 18 for most chems!). I'm not sure if such companies exist in Australia though.

It's a basic fertilizer... Not sure if it's used on fields and pastures and such, but I am certain that it is used in greenhouses. Farm shops might sell it in large bags (25 kg or more)... I used to live in the middle of the greenhouse capital of Europe, and we had several shops around the corner. Bulk prices should be as low as 1-2 euro/kg.

For small quantities I'd be surprised if you can find it... The world has become paranoid, and it is an ingredient for gun powder. Fertilizers for normal consumers are generally pre-mixed blends of several compounds.

Thanks for the info guys but my major dilemma was not in the application of such a chemical nor in places that it might be, i was trying to get a more precise answer. I say this without any disrespect to the previous posters and I notice that I am asking for a little bit of spoon feeding (although i have searched laboriously to obtain a source). Anyways, thanks for the replies already, any more would be kindly appreciated.

Unfortunately gardening stores in Australia don't appear to sell KNO3 based stump removers, or any chemical based stump removers for that matter. I have asked numerous gardening stores and all turn up blank. I even dared a chance with my local Bunning's Warehouse and upon the request of a stump remover the kid behind the counter said "what? You mean like a shovel or something?". Hmm....it seems that nobody wants to hand out cheap KNO3 in the land down under.

too bad mate ;)

well, if you really really really really needed it, there is a long and tedious process, not to mention quite dangerous, but, if you're at your whit's end...

I have a procedure to make the potassium nitrate, but I don't think that the admins would like it very much, right guys?

I would post it only if it didn't break the rules....

well YT? or hermanatrude (you're an admin rite? the reason I ask is you only have like 300 posts but you have a custom label instead of like atom or molecule or lepton) or any of you other admins? Does it break the rules if I write a procedure for production of a powerful oxidizer?

I'm pretty sure you can post any synths that don't involve illegal substances (some explosives, drugs etc.). KNO3 extraction and synths have been discussed many times on SFN (a bit too many times actually, since some people haven't bothered to use the search function).

well YT? or hermanatrude (you're an admin rite? the reason I ask is you only have like 300 posts but you have a custom label instead of like atom or molecule or lepton) or any of you other admins? Does it break the rules if I write a procedure for production of a powerful oxidizer?

If you need to check the rules, check them. they're on the forum for your convenience.

Well, here's one way to do it. Feel free to shoot holes all through it. Good idea to use the search engine though.

Materials needed:

-3.5 gallons of nitrate bearing earth or other material (farms that use nitrating fertalizer would be a good source for this)

-1/2 cup of wood ashes (get the fire really really hot when you're doing this)

-Bucket or other similar container about 4-5 gallons in volume

-2 pieces of finely woven cloth, each a bit bigger than the

bottom of the bucket

-Shallow dish or pan at least as large in diameter as the bucket

-Shallow, heat resistant container

-2 gallons of water

-Something to punch holes in the bottom of the bucket

-1 gallon ethanol, not more than 80 proof or so (or alternatively higher proof but lower volume)

-A heat source

-Paper & tape

Procedure:

- Punch holes on the inside bottom of the bucket, so that the

metal is"puckered" outward from the bottom

- Spread cloth over the holes from the bottom

- Place wood ashes on the cloth. Spread it out so that it covers

the entire cloth and has about the same thickness.

- Place 2nd cloth on top of the wood ashes

- Place the dirt or other material in the bucket

- Place the bucket over the shallow container. It may need

support on the bottom so that the holes on the bottom are not

blocked.

- Boil water and pour it over the earth very slowly. Do NOT pour

it all at once, as this will clog the filter on the bottom.

- Allow water to run through holes into the shallow dish on the

bottom.

- Be sure that the water goes through ALL of the earth!

- Allow water in dish to cool for an hour or so

- Carefully drain the liquid in the dish away, and discard the

sludge in the bottom

- Boil this liquid over a fire for at least two hours. Small

grains of salt will form - scoop these out with the paper as they

form

- When the liquid has boiled down to 1/2 its original volume let

it sit

- After 1/2 hour, add equal volume of the alcohol; when this

mixture is poured through paper, small white crystals appear. This

is the posassium nitrate.

Purification:

- Redissolve crystals in small amount of boiling water

- Remove any crystals that appear

- Pour through improvised filter then heat concentrated solution

to dryness.

- Spread out crystals and allow to dry

and in case your wondering, I have not tried this, and no, I do not enjoy making explosives nor do I think that blowing up stuff or making fire is cool, etc etc, you get it...

Honestly, I've never made an explosive divice.:embarass:

Also, IIRC there is a way with cow dung and carbamide, but it takes like 6 months and doesn't smell very good.

well that is a very long and tedious process. I have found a place that is willing to sell it to me for $18 a kg. how does this price compare to the market price. (although with the market being so small i don't see how there can be suck a market price)

Market price of what?

Large bulk prices are low.

Small quantities for use in a lab are expensive. - and you're only buying 1 kg.

It's the same stuff, but comes in a different packing... the price difference doesn't make much sense, but it's common for a lot of chemicals. Even purity doesn't necessarily increase for lab chemicals.

• 1 month later...

I live in England and having no debit card I have to resort to high street chemists etc. The cheapest I have found is Boots warehouse ordering service for £15 for 500g! Does anyone know of anywhere in England that takes cash? I am prepared to go anywhere inside Central England as I live in London and am not a girl of great means. Help!