Auto-antibodies

Does anyone know what "anti-epithelial auto-antibodies" are?!

I know that auto-antibodies are antibodies directed against self antigens. Its the anti-epitehial part that i'm abit lost on! Does it just mean what it says, that they are against epithelial cells?! I'm really not sure!

Elle :)

All comments and help is appriciated!! :)

Indeed, they bind to epithelial cells and cause them to break down some research shows they are related to viral infections.

They most likely cause some kind of change in gene regulation that ends in apoptosis.

Ahh thanks!! =]

So in a way they break down the epithelial cells so to allow excess into the cell perhaps?!

Just say you where looking for these anti-epithelial auto-antibodies in the serum of patients with a particular disease. In finding them could it possibly suggest that their presence may be promoting apoptosis of those cells?!

Thanks again =]

Elle

Autoimmunity, by definition, leads to apoptosis. Unless there is reason to believe that another cause exists then yes the antibodies can be associated with the apoptosis. However, it is also possible that apoptosis or necrosis itself can lead to autoimmunity so without knowing the exact pathology of the disease you've got a sort of "chicken or egg" debate.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your comment! It was helpful! :)

so in a way these anti-epithelial autoantibodies basically bind to the epithelial cells causing them to break down and ultimately promote/stimulate apoptosis of the cell, thereby perhaps resulting in damage to the tissue/organ affected?!

Elle

Antibodies themselves will not break down cells, but they can cause the activation of complement proteins and/or effector cells (namely phagocytes). It is the activation of the complement proteins and effector cells that would cause apoptosis.

I think the answer you are trying to get at is: The anti-epithelial auto antibodies bind to the epithelial cells which activate complement and effector cells, leading to apoptosis.

Perhaps this would help also Autoimmunity