FTP Problem

Xain

it started happening about a half a year ago, my ftp and all online games wouldn't connect i tried port forwarding, and i checked everything

ISP doesn't have any restrictions, and i don't have a firewall, so that cant block anything

from that, does anyone know whats wrong?

That has a built-in firewall, though it's supposed to ignore outgoing requests to connect. Have you look at its settings? You can bring it up by going to Start, Control Panel, Windows Firewall. You can turn it off, but it will nag you about it. But that would at least allow you to test your connections. You can also add exceptions there.

If you're able to hit the Internet (which is obviously the case) but not connect specific programs, that definitely suggests a port blockage of some sort, so I would definitely check this.

i always have that turned off, i told it i would monitor the firewall so it doesnt bug me

ive checked the ports, ive allowed everything through my router and wherever i can, it just wont let me connect

For your average Windows XP installation, that is not right. Usually it is advertising its presence on a good few of them. Something is definitely blocking ports. Does your router have a hardware firewall, NAT, or anything like that?

It has to be something to do with the ISP then. Which ISP is it?

If you have any friends on the same ISP, ask if they have the same problem. If they do not, get them to bring their laptop to your house and try using your connection.

i have ponderosa telephone

its the only isp i could get where i am

it work for about 4 years but it recently just stopped

none of my friends ahve the same isp

or laptop

and they dont live near me

Sorry we haven't been more help for you -- I know these problems can be really frustrating. In answer to your question, the modem may or may not have a web interface, just like the router. I know that's the case with my equipment here at the house, but the modem's interface is basically bypassed and controlled by the router.

It's possible the box is just on the fritz. Have you tried just challenging their tech support people to either return a solution or replace the box? Or do they think it's not a problem because you can access basic web services? I know you don't have a lot of options but you shouldn't put up with any nonsense if they try anything -- you're the customer.