The effect of our Home Microwave on biological life forms

Yes But for the ant to sense it wouldn’t it has to absorb the ray? And therefore if it absorbed the ray would it not be vaporized?

How do the microwave walls interact with microwaves? Do they reflect them or absorb them? If they where reflected wouldn’t it create plasma like a fork? And if it absorbed them wouldn’t they get very hot and not cook the food?

If there was no load (No food) would the ant have been fried? If the walls reflect how can an ant possibly escape the waves?

Good points Lance, I would like also to add another question in this context - I was told that if you heat up the microwave WITHOUT anything in it it's dangerous.

Err.. well why?? do the rays "know" where to go? that sounds stupid. But if the case is really that without anything in it the microwave is emmitting more energy (don't know, thats what i was told, I may be wrong here..? ) then if there was NOTHING inside then the ant was indeed be fried...

I would be doing some experiments but I really don't want to fry an ant.

They're cute.

~moo

I would be doing some experiments but I really don't want to fry an ant.

They're cute.

~moo

Are you joking? I HATE ants. They invade my home and think they can eat my food without my permission. If they would bother to ask me then I might say yes but nooooooo, they just barge in like they own the place. I find ants EVERYWHERE in my house! It drives me crazy. This summer when they all come back I might try some experiments my self...

But dont the microwaves move at the speed of light?

If they are travelling waves, yes. But in a container, they can form standing waves which means there will be nodes, where the energy is a minimum. The rotating plate is there so the food doesn't stay in the nodeand helps even out the cooking. So it would be harder for the ant to stay inor near a node, but not impossible.

"radio

Electromagnetic radiation which has the lowest frequency, the longest wavelength, and is produced by charged particles moving back and forth; the atmosphere of the Earth is transparent to radio waves with wavelengths from a few millimeters to about twenty meters."

"microwave

Electromagnetic radiation which has a longer wavelength (between 1 mm and 30 cm) than visible light. Microwaves can be used to study the Universe, communicate with satellites in Earth orbit, and cook popcorn."

this is taken from the site you mentioned in your post #30

clearly you can see the overlap whereby microwaves fit into the radio spectrum :)

you said "No, they are actually in different parts of the spectrum. Hence the different names. Click here and/or here"

so by that same logic you`re saying that Shortwave or Longwave or medium wave are not radio either because they have different names?

a quick google search for "microwave radio" will reveal thousands of sites, one only need to lookup the word "Gunnplexer" to know that MW is in the radio band. what Lance said is perfectly correct! :)

I hope that wasn't u YT!

LOL, no it wasn`t me, but if I were hungry enough, I wouldn`t hesitate to eat them.

Crash: 2 or 3 should do the trick, just rinse with a glass of water 1`st to clean the palate then munch away :)

I strongly suspect that it`s the formic acid in the ants that gives them the lemon taste, but that`s suposition on my part, it just seems logical?

Well they do leave a smell behind once they've been through your sugar bowl and other things, i thought that was formic acid.

Its supposed to be a trail left so other ants can follow them sorta like migration. i remeber something like this in biology

yeah, ur right, if one ant finds its way to food, all the other ants can find it becuase of that trail. I don't really know the chemicals that are involved in that, its something that ants can pick up. That is why they tend to walk one behind another when carryong food, or even looking for it :)

• 3 weeks later...

The ant may not have been cooked as it water contain in its body is not a much as the food and therefore the food would have absorbed most of the energy. Microwaves are only electormagnetic waves that have no ionising effect so that microwaves do not cause cancer. Same with mobile phones they cannot cause cancer they only warm up the brain.

Ants release chemicals marking their tracks however this ant to get on to the food and be the only one must have left the group and be on its first trip before the ant told the others.

Maybe your mircowave is broken so that the ant would not have cooked and the food would still be cold.

Maybe your mircowave is broken so that the ant would not have cooked and the food would still be cold

I don't think that would be of a very high probablilty! Mooeypoo would have noticed it. The food not getting heated up! :)

So after all this, I have a question (If this comes as me not understanding.. err.. sorry.. I'm tyring to figure this entire thing out. what I LEARNED is different than what you're all explaining):

If I put my HAND in the microwave. Assuming that it'll work with my hand inside:

What would be the effect?

My blood will boil..?

My body will gather ionizing radiation?

Will the effect be "visible" rightaway or is it something like radiation, that we will see after a few days (or years, with cancer for instance)...?

~moo

So after all this' date=' I have a question (If this comes as me not understanding.. err.. sorry.. I'm tyring to figure this entire thing out. what I LEARNED is different than what you're all explaining):

If I put my HAND in the microwave. Assuming that it'll work with my hand inside:

What would be the effect?

My blood will boil..?

My body will gather ionizing radiation?

Will the effect be "visible" rightaway or is it something like radiation, that we will see after a few days (or years, with cancer for instance)...?

~moo[/quote']

You hand would heat up, in spots, and probably hurt. Any damage would likely be caused by the temperature attained.

Note that this is radiation; asking whether this is "something like radiation" for possible delayed effects is an ill-formed question. You see some radiation effects almost immediately (ever get a sunburn?) and some problems only manifest themselves after a long time of chronic exposure. Damage depends in part on how big the dose is, how long the exposure is, and whether or not there is enough energy per photon to cause ionization.

I know, I'm sorry I didn't explain myself right. I know sunburn is radiation, I meant radiation more in terms of long-time damage, and ionizing radiation. You're right though. My bad.

So if I put my hand for 10 seconds in a microwave I won't die, and I won't have (I'm having torubles explaining what I mean.. err..) residue radiation .. like the one left after (its in much much bigger quantities i know, still) atomic explosion.

I think I need to read about waves and radiation again. I'll look it up on google ...

Thanks!!

~moo