pets!

chitrangda

which pets do you own?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. which pets do you own?

1 Dog, 2 cats, 1 rabbit, 4 chickens, 1 goat, 1 pig, lots of freshwater fish, 2 leopard geckos, 2 turtles, 2 frogs, 1 snake, 1 tarantula,1 scorpion, a bunch of Madagascar hissing cockroaches, some walking stick insects and a whole lot of honey bees.

Demeter, my very Classical mixed breed dog.

Don't tell me you name your pets after ancient divinities ?

It's so lame.

And geeky.

yea, I do this too. Currently I have a dog called Mercury, and two cats; Hades and Freya (daughter of my two previous cats; Odin and Frigg), and I just lost a cat named Demeter (Freya's daughter).

1 Dog, 2 cats, 1 rabbit, 4 chickens, 1 goat, 1 pig, lots of freshwater fish, 2 leopard geckos, 2 turtles, 2 frogs, 1 snake, 1 tarantula,1 scorpion, a bunch of Madagascar hissing cockroaches, some walking stick insects and a whole lot of honey bees.

oh gosh!you can start a zoo at your place!

i owned a quale...but now few ants...

I have a dog named Max (because he was number four when we I stole him from a junkie, putting us one over the legal limit), and another named Sequoia (because that's the name they gave her at the shelter). Both are shepherd crosses.

We also have three cats, Alex, Bailey and Megan. They don't like me much though, since they think I'm a dog.

We’ve got 4 cats. Einstein, Leo, Lila, and Pippen. Our friends think that we're getting close to being considered weird cat people.

Einstein is like the quarterback of the football team. The girls all love Einstein. He’s like the big brother of the group. He makes sure everybody stays clean.

Lila was an athletic, agile cheerleader type, but, well, she got fat. She still has a pretty face though. Talks a lot.

Leo was a strong independent type. He had numerous girlfriends out in the neighborhood. He's more like a dog than a cat. Unfortunately, he contracted FIV in a physical altercation out in the field. More than likely, it was a jealous husband. He’s now fighting for his life against various infections. Sweet guy.

Pippen is the funny looking little sister. But she thinks she’s beautiful, and like little miss sunshine, she is just adorable.

I used to have many dogs, mostly strays, but also 5 chihuahuas. But when I became a phd student and later on postdoc, there was not enough time, I had to leave them to my parents. Also I had three guinea pigs, two chinchillas and three rabbits.

I used to own 9 giant african land snails, the last two died recently, but the shells do make rather attractive ornaments.

I'm contemplating getting a lizard or snake, to occupy my huge, but redundant tank. Pets I've owned previously are rats, stick insects, and an axolotl (which are fascinating amphibians.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

Family pets, would be a number of cats and dogs over the years.

I used to own 9 giant african land snails, the last two died recently, but the shells do make rather attractive ornaments.

I'm contemplating getting a lizard or snake, to occupy my huge, but redundant tank. Pets I've owned previously are rats, stick insects, and an axolotl (which are fascinating amphibians.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

Family pets, would be a number of cats and dogs over the years.

I've wanted an axolotl ever since I read Ontogeny and Phylogeny. I don't know if they'd qualify as "fish" for the purposes of my dorm, though.

That's an interesting question. Are amphibians related to lobe fined fish more closely than lobe fined fish are related to radial fined fish? If they are, I'm protesting on the basis that they've made a rule based on a parapheletic taxon.

Edit: Aha! I found out. They are.

Edited by CDarwin
I checked Wikipedia

Apologies to Bookworm for going slightly off topic...

I've wanted an axolotl ever since I read Ontogeny and Phylogeny. I don't know if they'd qualify as "fish" for the purposes of my dorm, though.

That's an interesting question. Are amphibians related to lobe fined fish more closely than lobe fined fish are related to radial fined fish? If they are, I'm protesting on the basis that they've made a rule based on a parapheletic taxon.

Edit: Aha! I found out. They are.

Scientific argument wins again :)

A couple of points you might need to consider though, if you do intend to put your argument across. I'm sure you're more of an expert than I am in this area, and you're probably joking, but...

1. the axolotl is in it's larval stage, which is a bit of a misnomer where they're concerned, because metamorphosis generally only happens when there's an environmental change. So if you drained the tank of water, you'll have a salamander, and despite your argument, this is no different to keeping a lizard i.e it has the potential to roam around. It's highly unlikely this will happen, but accidents do happen, and your Uni may see that as a risk.

2. remember what you're feeding it. Daphnia when they're young, which clearly isn't an issue, but we fed 'Henry' raw chicken heart, when he was fully grown. So you may have the risk of salmonella, plus keeping chicken guts in the freezer might be an issue with your fellow students.

Other than that, there shouldn't be any problems. I feel very privileged for owning one when I was much younger, due to the uniqueness of axolotls, apart from the obvious, such as their physiology and the research they've brought about in stem cells, they also display netony i.e they can reproduce whilst still in their so-called larval stage. Good luck.