About ions...(Quite challenged to answer, I think)

albertlee

I.e. NaCl

The sodium atom gives its outer electron Electrons are tiny, negatively charged particles that orbit the nucleus of an atom in energy levels (or shells). electron to the chlorine atom. By transferring the electron, both atoms now have electron arrangements like those of noble gases. Welcome to the SFN Albertlee

(APP 2004)

Well....wolfson...it is not the answer i am seeking for, and it seems off-topic, because NaCl "is" a compound, and where Na and Cl are both ions.......

but question is about compound ions..... for eg, OH, which is a compound ion..because it is negative charge.......

Anyway, to answer my question......any needs to know what a compound ion is....

Any help?

Albert

an OH group cannot exist as a single ION un-attatched, it most also obey the octet and or valency rules. do you include in your question SO4, NO3 etc...? as compound ions also, as they can`t realy exist either as "stand alone" compounds without being attatched :)

albertlee, ionic compounds are compounds formed from ions and held together by an ionic bond, as in NaCl. They aren't necessarily ions themselves. What you are talking about are called polyatomic ions. Ions in general are formed because the atoms most stable electron configuration is like that in a noble gas. So if possible, atoms or compunds will gain or lose electrons to have the same configuration as the closest noble gas. Because they have a different number of protons to the noble gas though, they end up with a charge.

Ionic compounds will dissociate into their composite ions if they have something to stablise them. Water is such a good solvent because it can stabilise both positive and negative ions. It forms complexes with the ions, the opposite charged parts of the water facing the ions. Once again this is a matter of stability, ions are only formed if this is a more stable (lower energy configuration) than the compound. So for polyatomic ions, they must be more stable than the ions formed by them dissociating.

WOW, Thanking YT. and Skye for the responds, i found them quite useful (although i am still not fresh, but i can grab the start :) )

Any way, for the negative ion, SO4, can i write it as O4S ? since O4 is considered to be positve.......

Plz reply

Albert

Another question about bonding...... Why only ionic compound dissolves in water, but not covalent compound? And likewise, why only covalent compound dissolves in petrol?

I am not familar with solubility, please also tell me a concept about that.....

Plz also answer my question of previous message

MAny thanks....

Albert

Err, well you don't write it as O4S. For anions that contain an oxygen you write the oxygen last, i.e NO3, BrO3, C2H3O2, etc. You don't use the 'cation first' rule.

The solubility question... Atoms within a molecule can have a charge due to the way the electrons are distributed. This tends to be the case in ionic compounds because one atom donates electrons, so it gets a positive charge, and the other gets a negative charge. In some molecules the charges are at opposite ends like a bar magnet, and the molecule is said to be polar. So the ends of polar molecules are attracted to the oppositely charged ends of other polar molecules. Because of this polar molecules tend to gather together and exclude non-polar molecules, such as are produced by covalent bonds, where sharing of electrons leads to them having an even distribution of charge.

Polar molecules as three-dimensionally "asymmetrical." This means that any molecule that has a central atom with two different types of elements connected to it is probably polar, because each atom has a different electronegativity.

Bent and trigonal pyramidal molecules are always polar. The lone pair(s) on the central atom automatically make the molecule asymmetrical around the central atom.

Polar molecules are also called "dipoles."

Polar molecules have one end that has a partial negative ("delta negative") charge and one end with a partial positive ("delta positive") charge.

The atom(s) with the highest electronegativity have a partial negative charge because a high electronegativity means that the atom is an "electron hog."

The water molecule is a polar molecule. The oxygen atom is most electronegative.

(ref: http://www.shs.d211.org/science/faculty/S2B/polar_molecules.htm)

albertlee, people will answer your questions.

1. In due time, dont be hasty

2. If you wish to ask another question start a NEW thread, do not repeat yourself on the same thread.

Wolfson