I have to take calc soon

dethfire

Just listen real close and ask questions. Don't let a teacher explain something that you don't understand go by you. Ask questions until it becomes clear. It's only hard if you let stuff go by you and then play catch up all year. It's a piece of cake.

For my engineering degree I had to take Calc I, II, III, and IV, and then Math Analysis. Physics math was the hardest for me.

Just pay attention

Good luck.

Just aman

Even if a graphing calculator isn't technically a requirement, GET ONE. Preferably the 89, as it will do everything for you. Derivatives, limits, integrals, series... everything. And it has some kick ass games. I'm not advocating not acutally learning the stuff, but being able to know instantly if my answer is right and speeding up busy work is important to me.

For more information on TI graphing calcs (the best), check out http://www.ticalc.org

In my classes I used a slide rule if any of you know what those antiques were. Then you had to understand the math before you could use it. It assisted you but you had to know what it was calculating. Still I'm glad our understanding was so simple then and not the advanced stuff you guys have. I just sit back and watch what you discover now and read your explanations.

Just aman

Originally posted by dudels

How much of a grasp of algebra and trig. is necessary?

For basic calculus?

If you managed a B or above in GCSE* maths you can definitely handle the trig/algebra.

It's a lot easier than coding PHP ;p

Calculus is extremely easy at any level you'd do it at before university.

(*i know you're in the UK so put it in terms you'd understand, sorry to all the yanks ;) )

Originally posted by Ragnarak

For basic calculus?

If you managed a B or above in GCSE* maths you can definitely handle the trig/algebra.

It's a lot easier than coding PHP ;p

Calculus is extremely easy at any level you'd do it at before university.

(*i know you're in the UK so put it in terms you'd understand, sorry to all the yanks ;) )

Heh, I should manage it then :)

Anybody with the discipline to operate a computer and ask intelligent questions should find it to be just another challenge that is easy once your through it. Just go in with the attitude your gonna kick butt.

Just aman

Make sure you understand the concept of differential equations.

That's where all the logic and solid math turns into a game in your mind. From then on it is a conceptual reasoning and no longer 2+2. You'll have to understand or you'll be left behind.

Just aman

• 1 month later...
Guest Angela1421
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt

I have to take calc soon. I am not good in math at all. The farthest I've been is Algebra II and some Trig. I'm nervous!

Dear Greg,

You will need to understand the concept of function, such as y=x^2+3. You'll need understand different types of basic functions like polynomial, trigonometric,e^x, and logarithmic.

If you can grasp composite functions, you may be a bit better off, but it's not necessary.

Calculus deals a lot with the limit of a function. And, you will need to understand them. Not necessarily, manipulate limit formulas, but just grasp what they mean.

For example, f(x) = 1/x. What number does f(x) get close to as x gets very large? 1/10, 1/100, 1/2000, 1/3,343,253? It looks like it's getting very small. Doesn't it? If you guessed that the function is approaching 0, you'd be right. And that is our limit, when x approaches infinity.

Now, do you need to work with limits and manipulate them? This depends on the type of calculus that you're taking. If you're taking high school calculus or business calculus, probably not too much. If you're taking regular calculus, perhaps some, but not a great extent.

It's the use of limits that the great earlier mathematicians used to derive our derivative and integral formulas.

The hardest part of calculus for me, after grasping the concept of how the limits generated the formulas was memorizing them. So, I definitely, would encourage that you write these formulas down on one piece of paper, as you learn them, or buy a formula list at your local university bookstore.

Here is my calculus page that covers the most basic concepts of calculus.

Calculus Made Easier

I would like to make a point, that if you're having problems with calculus, ask for help from your teacher after class or get a math tutor.

Have a nice day,

Angela

Guest ETRON3030

yo what up sheezy. when i took calc back in '72, i had no such thing as a calcumalator. double-u-tee-eff is up widdat. so bloo' stick up in i' and sho' yo teacho' whacho' made o'.

For the subject: If you can read you'll do fine. And don't think you can not pay attention for a day or two and still know whats going on. The higher the classes get, the faster they go so stay alert and read EVERYTHING the book says repeatedly. Math is naturally easy for me, I mean I don't pay attention, I just read the book and catch on instantly. It's easy.