Oxidizable compounds

I'm running a reaction in an environment where I'd like to use a compound that removes oxygen from the total system. What would be the best economical, oxidizable compound, that doesn't corrode stainless steel and doesn't react with water?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Enviroment? Sealed?

If so, you can phosphorous to remove the oxygen - it will not react with water or corrode stainless steel. Unfortunately problematic element - reacts vicously and spontaneously with air - have not actuallly handled it myself so revise safety. Fire.

Oxidised to [math]P_{4}O_{10}[/math].

I'm using a sealed presure vessel at about 300 degrees celsius. Actually, it could be aluminum, just got it off the internet. What's the best way to acquire phosphorus as an individual? I want the end result to be primarily liquid. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Runninfarmer

if all you want is O2 removal then simply make a soln of Hydroquinone or Metol and then add sodium or potassium carbonate or hydroxide to it.

it LOADS safer than using elemental phos, and you can get these chemicals easily at any good photographic shop.

• 1 month later...