Installing Firefox 3 on Fedora

herme3

Can someone please explain how to install Firefox 3 on Fedora? The Windows installation was simple, but I can't find an executable installation program for the Linux version. I tried running "yum update firefox" in the terminal, but that only downloaded Firefox 1.0. I also tried manually copying the FF3 files over the FF1 files, but then Firefox wouldn't open at all.

Is there an installation wizard for the Linux version?

You aren't going to find an official Firefox 3 package for Fedora Core 4. Linux distributors will often freeze versions in their repositories to keep everything nicely compatible, and Fedora Core 4 has probably already had that happen. You'll only be able to get bugfix updates for Firefox, not feature updates.

You can try downloading Firefox from mozilla.com and untarring it into a new directory. (It needs to use a new profile as using an old one may screw it up royally.)

Untarring Firefox to a new directory doesn't seem to work either. I'll probably just stick with the old version because I don't use the computer for browsing very often. It's mainly just a test server. Thank you for your help.

I've always wondered, why don't most Linux programs come with installation wizards? Would it just be too difficult with all the different distributions?

Most Linux programs (the ones in your repository) will just install themselves when you tell them, without any need for a **** wizard. Usually, they only ask questions if you need to configure them.

Some Linux programs come in the form of a self-installing executable (aka wizard), but usually those are ones that you buy (or pirate).