Peak Oil, Recession, Prepare the Defences!

LawLord

Things are getting rather costly over here (and by the looks of things, all around the world).

I intend to learn more about the sciences and am keen to play around a bit with chemistry. At the moment my knowledge on the subject is very poor though (I'm learning fast).

I want to buy my chemicals and instruments while I can still afford them. I'll worry about what to do with them later.

Was wondering if anyone had advice on what I should buy?

I'm going to buy some magnesium for sure. What else might a budding chemist want to obtain before his country falls into a recession and he has to struggle just to pay for the food?

Thanks

am keen to play around a bit with chemistry. At the moment my knowledge on the subject is very poor though

chemistry is very hazardous. Be very careful. To be honest i'd reccomend you take a degree-level course before messing about at home. Another thing to become very familiar with is MSDS (material safety data sheets), they'll tell u the hazards you're dealing with.

Having said that, a home laboratory is a difficult thing to run, especially in a place like the USA (i assume that's where you are), since many of the normal chemicals are only available to commercial buyers.

Perhaps get a chemistry set for children? They come with instructions for some interesting experiments.

There might even be a book you can find for your particular interests, but it'd probably be old.

sorry I couldnt be of more help but i can't suggest particular chemicals or apparatus because i dont know which experiments you want to do or whether you'd be allowed to make the purchase.

I can get:

-Potassium nitrate technical grade, KNO3 (99.8% purity)

-Sulphur/sulfur technical grade, S (99.98% purity)

-Potassium permanganate technical grade, KMnO4 (99.8% purity)

-Aluminium powder 600 mesh (20 microns) dark flake, Al

-Black copper oxide, CuO

-Black iron oxide, Fe3O4

-Magnesium ribbon

-Sodium Acetate Anhydrous 99.9%

and probably a few others.

I suppose I don't even really know what experiments i'll be doing.

You have been of help just by telling me about these MSDS. I'll certainly be getting hold of some of them.

I am taking chemistry next trimester (it starts in two weeks). It could be a whole year before I start doing my own experiments.

I expect the financial crisis to hit New Zealand by August-September though so I want to spend my money while it still has a lot of value.

I am from New Zealand. The United States can't have Law Lords (and I as far as I know its citizens cannot be appointed to that position), neither can New Zealand although New Zealand citizens can be appointed if they are exceptional judges. I want to be a judge someday. Currently, I am just a humble first year law student though.

Lol, I don't want to be a professional chemist. I want to be a Chemist in my own time. Chemistry can be a hobby as well.

I also enjoy electronics so i'm buying all the stuff I need before it gets to expensive (or the stores close down).

Rest assured, I still intend to be a Lawyer (and someday, a Judge).

A year ago my friend (American) told me about how he was convinced the US economy was going to crash.

He thought this because the US dollar was dropping rappidly.

This is expected, economies go in cycles and a minor recession is perfectly normal and survivable (no big deal).

However, over time, with things not looking to get better anytime soon and with oil going up (I know how badly oil price increases effect the economy), I started paying attention to The Reserve Bank of New Zealands Monetary policy. Then I checked out the Federal Reserves one... then Zimbabwais (they release it), had a look at Chinas (they also release it) etc etc. I generally keep up to date with them.

What did I learn? China is gonna demand like crazy.

I was also able to get in touch with some independant scientists who have been looking into peak oil for 8 or so years.

Came across independant researchers (not exactly geologists, they were Medical Doctors who had been researching it).

The Prime Minister of New Zealand has said openly "we're not too far short of peak oil if not already there..."

Various predictions (that have been fairly accurate so far (i'm sure you're aware of them, I forget the names) put peak oil around 2010-2011.

Physics/Maths professor has figured out due to exponential growth even with the figures provided on oil reserves, we have a serious energy crisis upon us.

Finally, I'm fairly certain that a recession is coming right at us... the media has just reported it and started offering advice to those who haven't lived through one before. This can cause what is known in economics as "self fulfilling prophecies". People expect recession so they act in a way that brings about one (unintentionally).

Most finance companies are going bankrupt.

Central Bank of Britian had to bail out a bank recently, Federal Reserve has had to bail out some massive finance company.

Both countries have adopted the same monatary policy as Zimbabwe... Alot of countries told the Zimbabwe government when they first put the policy in place that it was a bad policy...

Housing Bubble bursting in New Zealand now (gonna hit hard around August)

Credit Crisis

Oil expected to keep going up (real bad around August)

International food crisis

New Zealand Energy Crisis

Airlines around the world have begun to callapse.

1/3 of New Zealand businesses said they were going to have to raise prices within the next three months (this was before oil went up about 20 cents a litre, so the actual amount of firms raising prices will be much higher I expect)

The Reserve bank has discussed cutting interest rates.

Ministry of Agruculture in Fiji has started a campaign to plant five fruit trees a day to protect them from massive price rises.

News (I don't really trust them, but oh well) has reported mass unemployment and massive inflation in the coming months.

Shell oil (if I remember correctly) has been sued for Lying about its oil reserves.

Government just bailed out farmers (they were gonna slaughter their cattle because they couldn't afford to feed them).

I read through Geology textbooks every now and then.

I know Geology students.

I am aware there are alternative explanations for the coming crisis.

I was until recently part of ALL the student political groups. These groups go along to meet the polititions and see lectures about possible government policies. They are government support groups (not protest groups). America probably has groups like "Young Democrates" and "Young Republicans". I only joined them to keep up to date and hear both sides of the story.

Its just terrible that this recession is taking place. With all the wonderful scientist in the world I am almost sure that with due time hopeful we can come to a solution where gas is not our only solution and more money will not b spent unnecessarily. I would love to study chemistry down the line to educate myself and possibly work in a forensics's lab. I studied optometry (well, not really studied, so much as lying about studying) and have made connections with surgeons around the world who specialize in all sorts of lasik treatment. They pay me very well to go to internet forums and spam the crap out of them. My2020.com has definitely helped me to expand my bank account, but I would never recommend them for any kind of sensitive surgery. They are a total crock! :eek:

Edited by Phi for All
sparfed for truthfulness

Granted, there is a lot of "doom and gloom" and the future doesn't look too bright, but as a species we have been able to deal with issues when it truly becomes a "critical issue". There will be rough times ahead, but good things will come out of it. There will be a breakthrough in some regards, and the lucky chap who discovers it will be quite set for life.