PHP/MySQL questions

DivideByZero

Yes, you can, it's not hard to learn, adn you're hijackign my thread ;)

Not that anyone replied to it, apparently.. ahem to all.

I recommend you look up "php tutorials" in google and see about starting out in one. you'll need a PHP / mySQL server to test your code in.

I also recommend someone split this up to a new thread ;) mods?

Oookay great now I can give a better answer (Thanks Capn :)

DivideByZero - you need to first understand the concept of "Serverside Programming". It's not hard, just important. Read about it a bit here, for example.

Also, you'll need to know a bit about HTML tags and CSS, because with PHP you're generating your pages dynamically, so you will need to "play around" with these. They're not hard at all, specifically since HTML is a "markup" language, and not programming (so it doesn't really have conditions, array, variables or anything most of the time). Same, mostly, with CSS.

Then, look at PHP tutorials for beginners to get used to the basics. Don't get into mySQL before understanding what PHP does and how it works. After that, learning the mysql commands that php has will be relatively easy.

Look up "PHP Tutorials" online. i found a few here, here and here. But there are many more in a simple google search.

Places like PlanetSourceCode.com are good for example codes so you can take them and tweak them, and learn how to do stuff like that.

Good luck

~moo

As for the first two questions: MySQL and PHP are not the same. PHP is a programming language that you can use to create things such as this forum you're using right now. MySQL is a database software -- it stores data for later retrieval. PHP can access data stored by MySQL. (For example, the posts you're looking at now were stored by MySQL and retrieved and displayed to you by PHP.)

ohhh wow. I wanted to create a login page with some sort of database to make a small quick text based game. I didn't know where to start but I guess I'll study PHP for a while then move over to mySQL like you guys said.

btw, sorry about hijacking your thread and thanks Cap't for moving it :D

• 2 weeks later...
ohhh wow. I wanted to create a login page with some sort of database to make a small quick text based game. I didn't know where to start but I guess I'll study PHP for a while then move over to mySQL like you guys said.

btw, sorry about hijacking your thread and thanks Cap't for moving it :D

http://w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_intro.asp

making a basic login system with php/sql is VERY simple. You just have to create a few sessions and keep track of em...and some simple SQL queries to check for the username/pw.

hell, making a user registration page/email validation is just as easy ;)

http://w3schools.com/php/default.asp

w3schools is by far the best website to find tutorials.

Edited by Adrian