Do You Believe There is Intelligent Life Beyond Earth?

Okay some asked: if for instance the dinosaurs did not undergo a mass extinction, would their presence have had an impact on our individual evolution? obvoiously a joke question as the dinosaurs extinction allowed the continual progression & evolution of the human race. If the dinosaurs had of survived the whole environment would be different which would therefore make the dominant species or the so called humanoid species of a different race rather than ape. we would look totally different act different even comunicate differently. As for other species on other planets there is no way that their history or technology would be the same and have the same advancements. ie if you live on an island with high trees and there is food on the top of those trees you create a method to get that food (humans gift is not inteligence but imagination) but if you however live on an island where the food drops to the ground then why create a means to climb the tree. That is the basis of early human technology. There have been many a great inventor but the greatest fact is that if not for the early stages of development those early and great inventors (which is believe it or not what they were) then there would not of been einstein or Newton. So in retrospect even if the other planet had the same gravity (which would effect the outcomne and appearance of the species) the same plants because even a different plant has some form of effect on the outcome of that around it their technology still would not of progressed at the same rate. as needs is the reason behind most great invention (this is however based on humans). To critisise myself a speciesa on another planet may just build they may well live to build and create new things for the bettering of themselves rather than others. Their could be aliens on other planets that live as long as a common moth or live as long as a turtle. Som form of alien could be like a butterfly stating as a blob and then transforming to a beetle. there are to many maybe's but due to the humans ability to not get along (human beings greatest fault) there may never be a way to tell. Oh before I go my main beef is with the reports about Mars papers specify that there could be no life form but maybe the intelligent life lives in craters and eats rocks! or maybe they just hide i mean if a gorilla strolled into your living room what you gonna do try and pet it?

I too believe that there is indeed life on other planets, I don't think there is any doubting that considering the vast amount of galaxies and stars in them. It will be interesting to examine the much older planets of our galaxy when we have the technology to do so, just to see if anything has evolved to a state beyond which we can even comprehend. I find this article pretty interesting :

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/advanced_civilization_become.html

I would still call life that evolved on earth regardless of its origins terrestrial life, as long as they fit in with the environement. Since any species that evolves on earth would have an impact on the eco-system and be part of it, if it is here long enough.

Then there presence effects others species that were here originally etc...

Other then that the first cell-life forms were made of atoms that werent necessarily here when earth formed (maybe, but that is not perse needed), and other then that earth formed from material coming from out of space. So either we are all alien according to your reasoning or we are not because we co-evolved with the planet.

Why would these deep sea fishes be extra-terrestrial ?

Yeah i think there is extra terrestrial life in the sense of species evolved on another planet.

Guy what is your point ?

That aliens are apriori not looking like us ?

But maybe there is a "winning configuration" as in one that can easily adept to almost any situation, that would anyway force some similarity in between aliens ?

Mandrake,

Why would these deep sea fishes be extra-terrestrial ?

I didn't say they are, I said it's a possibility we may find extra-terrestrial life forms on earth already, and I gave an example of things we don't KNOW.

And I'm quite skeptical about the fact they might look like us. I believe that odds are not only are they not even SIMILAR to humans, they also might very well exist in ways we may not comprehend.

Like "thought". "intelligence". "sphere". or even something that is so beyond our understanding that we only comprehend PART of it, and translate what it is to something else entirely.

~moo