Should I get a PC or a Mac?

Reaper

I'm going to purchase a new laptop over the summer, and I've been contemplating my options. I would like to get a regular PC, but I would have to upgrade it to XP since it is generally agreed that Vista's not that great. Also, I would still have to put in the proper antivirus and other security software on it to ensure that it will last a long time.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about getting a Mac, since they have better security, better operating system, and so on. But, the problem with a Mac is that you really can't install a great deal of things on it because of the operating system, especially PC games.

However, what would you suggest? I'm trying to find a good PC or Mac that is under $1200. What exactly is the best thing to get with that kind of price?

get a PC and dual boot linux. linux for security, XP/vista for gaming. works a treat. and the WINE project is progressing fast and can already run a bunch of windows games on linux.

That's probably what I'd do.

But my parents and brother both have mac laptops (one a macbook one a macbook pro) and they are superb little machines...

I personally prefer PC, but that's just because I harbor an intense hatred for Macs, because the one's I've been using for the last 3 years at my school, all suck.

PC's, in my opinion are much more reliable and efficient.

Macs are just meant to look good, and be easy to use, like Vista. I haven't yet used Leopard, but I assume it's not better than the one at my school. Did I mention it sucks a lot?