Mark Twain Quote

the tree

What are you talking about, tree?
As I'm sure you are really aware.
I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Is well known to be attributed to Mark Twain well before, well, you.[Mark Twain quotes]

As I'm sure you are really aware.Is well known to be attributed to Mark Twain well before, well, you.[Mark Twain quotes]

I've never heard that quote before. He said it better than I did, IMO. I'm sure someone said something similar prior to him. Does that mean he was paraphrasing someone else?

One has to question, though, how mark Twain knew the age of the universe way back when, >100 years ago. The best estimates of the age of the earth and universe were significantly less than a billion years in Twain's/Clemens's time.

Or perhaps he was speaking metaphorically?

One has to question, though, how mark Twain knew the age of the universe way back when, >100 years ago. The best estimates of the age of the earth and universe were significantly less than a billion years in Twain's/Clemens's time.

Or perhaps he was speaking metaphorically?

I think he was merely using a hyperbole, unless of course there is a lot more to Mark Twain than we think...