dc motor

Snail13579

how do i make a dc motor? i know the materials, but im not really sure why its not spinning. I made it so it has a copper wired ring in the center with magnet at the bottom and a battery powering it. Is it the wires that led from the battery to the copper wire the problem or what?:confused::confused:

don`t over-complicate matters, here`s a simple DC motor I made up in about 30 seconds:

dcm.JPG

the magnet on the nail is actually spinning, but you can`t really see that in the pic.

here are the parts needed:

dcmp.JPG

1 battery, a nail, a Magnet on the end of the nail, and a bit of wire.

see, Nothing complicated at all ;)

don`t over-complicate matters, here`s a simple DC motor I made up in about 30 seconds:

[...]

1 battery, a nail, a Magnet on the end of the nail, and a bit of wire.

see, Nothing complicated at all ;)

I remember doing this. deja vu

right now, im just using normal copper wire. im sure that the problem is at the insulation and/or the "magnet wire" which i have no idea what that is. the rest i got it covered. im building a beakman's dc motor btw

right now, im just using normal copper wire. im sure that the problem is at the insulation and/or the "magnet wire" which i have no idea what that is. the rest i got it covered. im building a beakman's dc motor btw

Yes, you will need magnet wire to build a motor like like Beakman's. Magnet wire as a very thin layer of insulation so that it can be wound in tight coils where the windings do not short circuit with each other. Some simply has a thin varnish on the wire that you can scrape off with a blade of some sort. In a Beakman's motor you scrape it off on one side to form the commutator.

what kind of wires at home can be used as a magnet wire?

edit: wouldnt the magnet wire be attracted to the magnet? it should be normal copper wire with insulation IMO

Edited by Snail13579

None that will work in a Beakman's motor. Since the wire acts as an axle of sorts in the commutator it needs to be fairly round even after the insulation is scraped off on one side.

• 2 weeks later...

Really simple motor I stuck in a blog post today. Wire, battery, appropriate magnet, and one hand fewer required than YT's example.

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/swansont/archives/484

I built one of these this afternoon. Quick 'n dirty. Had to get a magnet at the hardware store, but the actual construction was about ten minutes. Updated my post, so the video is there.