Windows XP to Ubuntu

antimatter

I don't know, I'm still a little unsure.

Somehow I knew this was going to happen, it just seemed a little too easy.

i can assure you your case is the exception rather than the rule, i mean, you even had to modify your BIOS to boot from the CD, i've NEVER had to do that for a computer unless i specifically set the BIOS to not boot from cd for some reason.

I really think it's the network card that is broken, which is rather unfortunate.

if it works in one OS but not the other then it is a driver issue and not the hardware.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what i hate about linux...not everything works on it(hardware wise).

I spent hours trying to get my 8800GT working on my dual monitors on Fedora...and Ubuntu doent support my wireless card.

Maybe when they get better support ill use it more.

The support issue is a problem of hardware companies not providing drivers of OSs other than windows.

If you consider say the range of processor architectures that os's can run on nearly everything outstrips windows...

talk to the people at ubuntuforums.org. they'll get you set up.

Adrian, linux supports more hardware than windows, its just that manufacturers either do not produce drivers for linux or have very poor drivers for linux so they have to be reverse engineered by developers which results in newer hardware not being fully supported. i have 3 machines running linux of various flavours and all of the hardware is fully supported, including dual monitors.

yeah, the only thing that partition does that may screw up ur computer is that it can cause it to crash. ( someone may have already mentioned this) basically, what a partitian does is just temporaraly allow you to use another OS instead of ur current one. That means that all ur hardware - graphics card, audio card, RAM, ...etc are being used by the OS you partitioned. BUT, ur hardrive is still being used by ur other OS, unfortunetly, i dont know if you can check how much HD space you have left on the other OS... so that kinda sucks. and another thing - have you tried installing teh driver software for the network card that u are using. ( i dont know if its internal or not ) but anyway, you need to install that software, and then you might need to "switch" the network card from one OS to the other, ....kinda hard to explain. techinically...you should be able to go on the intenet, because its just another peice of equipment that you are using. ur not shutting it off or anything in the process of switching ur OS...

i'd be wary about informing XP or vista that there is a linux partition there. mainly because XP and vista can get viruses, if they get one, not only can they screw up your windows installation, but using that driver they can also screw up your linux installation which would be otherwise safe.

Ok, so the internet problem was the wireless network card, so I can access the internet, but I have to be hardwired to the router.

So now I probably have to get a new wireless network card...

Thanks for all the help...for now.

Ok, so the internet problem was the wireless network card, so I can access the internet, but I have to be hardwired to the router.

So now I probably have to get a new wireless network card...

Thanks for all the help...for now.

Did you look at the wiki pages above ^^? You'll probably be able to use ndiswrapper...