Mathematically, photons can travel much faster than the speed of light.

As far as I can tell, the material was only submitted to ArXiv, http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.0681 and the there is a rebuttal to it there as well http://arxiv.org/pdf/0709.2736 (the latter is a pdf file; the former links to an abstract where you can get the pdf file)

Even though this isn't anomalous dispersion, it is pulse reshaping (so I can say HA! and note that I blogged about this earlier today — before these posts). Basically, the measurements were done by timing the pulse peaks, and not accounting for the reshaping that happened when the pulse was attenuated, so that the peak occurs closer to the front in one of the wave trains.

Some more web reference for source material that is related

Faster-than-light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaAs with the Alcubierre drive, travelers moving through the wormhole would not locally move faster than light which travels through the wormhole alongside ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster_than_light_travel - 100k - Cached - Similar pages

Take a leap into hyperspace - fundamentals - 05 January 2006 - New ...5 Jan 2006 ... New Scientist Space uncovers the curious tale of the rocket driven ... the speed of light could be several times faster than we experience. ...

space.newscientist.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

Faster than the speed of light - 01 April 1995 - New ScientistSo if light can travel faster than light, shouldn't it be possible to send .... The angles of incidence for both photon tracks are arranged to be the same, ...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14619714.200-faster-than-the-speed-of-light.html - 64k - Cached - Similar pages

Me: The new physics provides a world not permitted by Einstein, even though his theories allowed them. Einstein personally believed that nothing could travel faster than ''c'', and since we know through quantum actions to move at superluminal speeds, like a photon, then certain information has been proven to move faster than light.

Yes, i know that they cite these things, but some of the information in these references needs to be looked at the point, where photons can and do travel faster than light. This is an incontravertible, irrefutable proof we have observed in the lab.

There you go

It Is All Relative! Speed Of Light Beaten |Sky News|World News16 Aug 2007 ... Sky News - Scientists claim to have broken the ultimate speed record - by making photons travel ... Could Time Travel Actually Be Possible? ...

news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1280079,00.html - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

Sky news is NOT a good reference, and if you'd care to read swansonts replies to where you quoted that reference before, both him and Cap'n found the article in newsci and then the arxiv article that was based on and explained how it WASN'T faster than light, and that it was just the popular media getting things wrong! Swansont also bloged on a similar subject earlier today.

Here's a link to the final post on the matter, the rest is discussed in the thread...

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=414712#post414712

OH **** that's this thread, have you actually read any of the replies made here at all?

Edited by Klaynos
added link -and comment

If you mean, it doesn't travel faster than light, because it doesn't move through spacetime, it actually does, but a subspacetime channel, in which must be within the fabric of spacetime itself.

Nope that's not what I or anyone else here means, read swansonts replies above.

If you mean, it doesn't travel faster than light, because it doesn't move through spacetime, it actually does, but a subspacetime channel, in which must be within the fabric of spacetime itself.

You don't seem to understand the paper swansont linked to earlier.

Or unless, the spacetime fabric itself was dragging the photon... and that would mean it didn't exceed ''c''. So many options open, the debates will continue.

Have you read and understood this:

As far as I can tell, the material was only submitted to ArXiv, http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.0681 and the there is a rebuttal to it there as well http://arxiv.org/pdf/0709.2736 (the latter is a pdf file; the former links to an abstract where you can get the pdf file)

Even though this isn't anomalous dispersion, it is pulse reshaping (so I can say HA! and note that I blogged about this earlier today — before these posts). Basically, the measurements were done by timing the pulse peaks, and not accounting for the reshaping that happened when the pulse was attenuated, so that the peak occurs closer to the front in one of the wave trains.

And i say, in Dr Hawking's book, ''Baby Universes and Black Holes, among other essays, '' he states that we can make photons travel faster than light, using the Uncertainty Principle. It, is, again, incontravertible.

I'll take that to mean, "No, I don't understand that post."

Not understanding something is nothing to be ashamed of.

Most of biology and chemistry is not understood by me, but if I wanted to know I'd ask, and I wouldn't (and don't) post with authority on the subjects.