Corporal Punishment in Public School

ParanoiA

I taught Math locally, rural high school, 2002-03, and was amazed that the standard punishment for these young adults was swats administered by the Principal!

I questioned my classes about their own personal regard for the meting out of authority- the answers were also amazing. Some laughed as the procedure was carried out, some misbehaved simply to get out of class often, but all AGREED the procedure did little more than set the student population ever further against the administration. imp

The other thing I've tried to do lately is to alter my take on rebellion. He's going to question authority, and nothing is really going to stop that. So I've tried to teach him to use respect, operate within the rules, and challenge with dignity. He does this with me quite well. That's partly why I'm baffled. If he disagrees with my rules, he makes his case respectfully and there are times I have reversed or altered them because he made a good argument. Maybe that was bad, since I'm sure that will never work with school policy.

expecting someone to behave reasonably is a two-way street: no doubt he does it with you because he's learnt that you'll reciprocate and behave reasonably to him.

if his teachers aint prepaired to reciprocate, then maybe he's not willing to behave reasonable to them.

Not saying it's all the teachers' fault, or your son isn't to blame at all, i just remember how annoying it was for me as a kid, being expected to 'behave' (read: just do as told by the person who i didn't choose to place in charge of me, in a place that i didn't choose to go) wilst being treated arbritrarily and unfairly. fwiw, i allways behaved reasonably towards the teachers who treated me reasonably.

expecting someone to behave reasonably is a two-way street: no doubt he does it with you because he's learnt that you'll reciprocate and behave reasonably to him.

if his teachers aint prepaired to reciprocate, then maybe he's not willing to behave reasonable to them.

Not saying it's all the teachers' fault, or your son isn't to blame at all, i just remember how annoying it was for me as a kid, being expected to 'behave' (read: just do as told by the person who i didn't choose to place in charge of me, in a place that i didn't choose to go) wilst being treated arbritrarily and unfairly. fwiw, i allways behaved reasonably towards the teachers who treated me reasonably.

Many good points there, and I totally agree. The problem comes when he gets a teacher who's style doesn't compliment this in any way whatsoever. (He even claims, albeit not confirmed, that can he can't ask simple questions about overdue homework, or his grade and so forth, or they'll get pissy with him).

So, on the one hand, I want to teach him how to properly and respectfully question authority, but with the understanding that if that authority figure isn't playing along, or is particularly strict with behavior, that he has to retreat. That second part is terribly difficult. It is for me to this very day.

I have a very difficult time letting go of what I believe are stupid work practices here on the job, a corporation no less. I still have to work hard to shut my mouth and do my job no matter how stupidly they insist I do it. And I use that as an example when I talk with him as well - that none of this rebellious spirit goes away, it gets refined.