Watch Preference

antimatter

What Type Of Watch Do You Prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Type Of Watch Do You Prefer?

• Digital
    • Analog
    • The Force (you don't need a watch)

Analogue. I find it's a lot easier to work out future and past times quickly (i.e. how long until/since...) than with digital. I have a citizen eco drive. No winding or batteries, just go out in the sun now and again (Oh no! Such a trial! :) )

I chose digital simply because I work for a hospital system that only uses military time and it is too easy for me to make an error of a minute or two with a standard watch. My current watch is a digital watch set to 24hr mode with an analog overlay. I suppose I use both.

So can anyone think of a list of advantages of using Analogue?

Human-comprehensible approxminations of time, such as a "quarter after" or a "quarter til'" a particular hour are instantly and visibly deducible. When someone asks me for the time, I much prefer to relate it that way rather than give them the exact time.

With an analog watch, it's completely intuitive to say "It's a quarter after 4" rather than "It's 4:17", since there's no translation there as there is with an analog watch.

Plus, I've had people ask me "Hey you, that's an awesome watch, what time is it?"

It's tough to make a blanket statement like "digital watches are tacky," or "analog watches are fancy" since they all differ.

The thing that's tacky is caring what other people think, not the watch. :cool:

Haha, how uncanny that I posted that digital watches are tacky like immediately after you said that...

...but seriously, digital watches are tacky.

I personally prefer analog because it feels classic and it makes me feel I guess... closer to my watch.

Another reason why i like my watch is because it teaches me discipline. The reason? I don't want any reminders or beeps coming from my watch to tell me when lunch time is, or when an appointment starts. I like to feel like I need to do things on my own and say if you forget your watch one day and you don't have that beeping? You don't know when lunch or that appointment is.

Anyway, take no offense digital-users I mean no harm. Either way any Geek holds their watch, computer, and calculator close to their little Geek hearts...

-David Goldstein

*note - this post does not have any merit and does not make much sense.

I usually don't have a watch; there's plenty of clocks all around and I usually carry my mobile phone with me, anyways.

Exactly. There is a cell phone in my pocket. There are twenty-plus clocks in my house: wall clock (1), telephones (3), cell phones (3 that aren't in my pocket), computers (3), kitchen equipment (3), TVs and related electronics (5), alarm clocks (4), thermostat (1). There is a clock in my car. There are clocks all over the road. There are who knows how many clocks at work. Why in the world would I need one of those itchy, hair-rendering devices on my wrist?

Exactly. There is a cell phone in my pocket. There are twenty-plus clocks in my house: wall clock (1), telephones (3), cell phones (3 that aren't in my pocket), computers (3), kitchen equipment (3), TVs and related electronics (5), alarm clocks (4), thermostat (1). There is a clock in my car. There are clocks all over the road. There are who knows how many clocks at work. Why in the world would I need one of those itchy, hair-rendering devices on my wrist?

So you can have one conveniently located time source that you know you can trust. That is, if you set it with the 'US Official Time' every two weeks just in case...

I don't know who would wear a digital watch anymore. I used to when I was younger, then I started carrying around a cell phone with a clock, which accomplished the same thing.

I've always been a pocket watch person myself. Humorously though, like yourself I carry around a cell phone in my pocket now and yet, I still carry my pocket watch which I usually defer to for the time when my cell phone is actually more likely to be correct since its time is self maintained by the cell network. I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy...

I wear a Citizen WR100 Solar-Tech analog watch. It's the most expensive watch I've ever owned, and I really questioned whether or not it was worth it at the time. I set it to the atomic clock at http://www.time.gov and it won't lose more than 2-3 seconds in a month. I never have to wind it and it doesn't need batteries. I have to be careful about covering it up wearing long sleeves in the winter since the watch needs light to run, and the calendar is usually off by half a day (I never need my watch to tell me what date it is though). Other than that it's been the best (and best-looking) watch I've ever owned.

I'm also a one watch kind of guy. I wear the same two rings, one on each ring finger, the same silver bracelet on my right wrist and the same watch on my left. Boring? Consistent? I just like them and see no need to mix it up. Jewelry is not my strong point so variety is not an appeal.

That was...rather harsh...

I used to wear an analogue watch with a metal band, but in the mornings when I would get up at 6:15, and put it on it would be really cold and uncomfortable, rather than the fabric watchband I use with my digital now. Also, it's easier to adjust, and since I'm growing I don't have to visit the jewelery store every other day to get it adjusted.

It must have a metal band, then. If it were leather, it would either be black or brown and would not go with all of your shoes and belts. ;)
Gold, just like the ring on that finger. My other ring and my bracelet are silver. Sort of Art-deco meets left brain anality.

Or Phi's eyeliner.
Philistine. Eyeliner should match your clothing, not your accessories. *Mascara* comes in black or brown (although with my coloring, sable is a more conservative choice).

And for your 411, I don't use eyeliner. It takes away from the effect of my startling blue/bloodshot eyes, the right one about 15 degrees out of kilter with the left. I can usually look at you AND your girlfriend, though I'm probably just pretending to look at *you*.

Ah, the gold watchband. Mine is just a faded black, so as not to attract attention, though as I wrote before, I used to have silver, but metals conduct heat a little too well for a metal band to be comfortable.

I don't have a watch right now, due to an incident involving a jackall, and old Fordson tractor, and a sledgehammer.

I greatly prefer an analog watch...one with nothing on it but two hands. I've always had trouble with the ones that go on your wrist though, they tend to get destroyed. I like those ones that hang from your beltloop. I destroy them too, but it takes longer.

An incident involving a jackall, tractor and sledgehammer?

That sounds...intriguing...

I've actually never seen those 'belt loop' watches...odd.

My watch is already pretty worn out, it's been through quite a lot of hikes, science experiments, and other such activities that would wear out a watch.