Watch Preference

antimatter

What Type Of Watch Do You Prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Type Of Watch Do You Prefer?

• Digital
    • Analog
    • The Force (you don't need a watch)

I wear analog watches only. I like the ones without numbers, and I seem to be able to read them at the same speed as digital, at least not significantly slower to really notice. I think I like them for 2 reasons. One, they look cooler. Two, I'm drawn to mechanical things much more then digital ones, likely due to the engineer in me.

I like the digital ones. At $5.00, they are expendable, so it doesn't matter if mine gets lost or broken. I also like the digital readout, and extra features like stopwatch that go with them. They're also generally waterproof.

I always carry a watch. I find other people's clocks to sometimes be unreliable.

to Add to my Geekyness, I also keep the 32.768 KHz crystals out of really good watches, and replace use that in a watch where the quartz crystal isn`t so accurate.

so if I have a watch that loses a minute a week (some are worse than that!) I have some that will do +/- 8 secs a year!

I use the clock on my mobile these days. I also use it as an alarm clock, although I don't really need it. It's odd - I look at the clock before going to sleep and count hours on my fingers to the time I want to get up. I then lay down, doze off and wake up about 5 mins before my alarm goes off. I realised I could do this when I was a school and had to get up earlier one day for some reason.

DrP that is...rather odd...

I agree with Mr. Skeptic, it's just much easier to have a digital, and I use the stopwatch feature a lot. Whether it's being a smartass and timing people when they try to respond to a question, or seeing how long it takes for a level to load in Half-Life 2.

I will always use a digital watch. For convenience, I'll list out my reasons:

-Digital watches are cheap

-They have "extras" like stopwatch, alarm, and light, although some advanced analogs also have them

-They're very durable if you spend more than $10 on one

-They can be read with a glance, taking into account seconds (well, I can read them faster, depends on opinion). No estimating with a digital watch when you really need to know the time

-If you have to do something at an exact moment or if you're waiting for something that should appear at some exact moment, a digital watch is more precise. Handy for science experiments in school

-Analogs (depending on the quality of course) can go out of time as their springs wear down. Based on my digital watch, digitals run longer (it's gone for three times than my analog on its current battery and is still going).

-Based on my watch, digitals don't slow down even when the battery gets low. Analogs will get out of time as the battery gets low.

-Wind-up analogs have the previous problem magnified and need winding the pendulum up

-I find them more stylish. Unless you fit with the "bling" look with a silver watch (I don't) digitals are more natural and they don't feel old. (Don't flame me for this).

And there you have it.

my wind up watch winds itself... and one of my problems with digitals (although I do wear one when camping and stuff). I'm kinda pedantic about wrong clocks, and watches in particular, I've been known to reset my watch 5 or 6 times before being satisfied as I have to start the seconds ticking to match my alarm clock perfectly...

I just prefer the look of analog and can read them just as easily...although sometimes both types I just look at them thinking "I know I can see the time but why wont my brain let me know what it is"

I prefer teh analog watches because they look nice.

And you're right, all teh clocks in our school are off, I remember one day it said it was 9:57 and it was actually 9:57...that was a first.

Is this teh model you have?

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ti/timex-ironman-30-lap-memory-watch.JPG

Just wondering, what's with the "teh"?

DrP that is...rather odd...

I know... I can't explain it, I've been doing it for years.. - thats why I voted for The Force in the poll.

Why not give it a try? I'm sure I'm not the only one who can do it. ?

i cheat, i have a watch that does both analogue and digital :P

i don't really have a preference tbh, i can read both formats just as quickly. except when i've been drinking more than is good for me. then i preffer analogue as i can still make sense of that when i lose the ability to read.

I will always use a digital watch. For convenience, I'll list out my reasons:

-Digital watches are cheap

-They have "extras" like stopwatch, alarm, and light, although some advanced analogs also have them

-They're very durable if you spend more than $10 on one

-They can be read with a glance, taking into account seconds (well, I can read them faster, depends on opinion). No estimating with a digital watch when you really need to know the time

-If you have to do something at an exact moment or if you're waiting for something that should appear at some exact moment, a digital watch is more precise. Handy for science experiments in school

-Analogs (depending on the quality of course) can go out of time as their springs wear down. Based on my digital watch, digitals run longer (it's gone for three times than my analog on its current battery and is still going).

-Based on my watch, digitals don't slow down even when the battery gets low. Analogs will get out of time as the battery gets low.

-Wind-up analogs have the previous problem magnified and need winding the pendulum up

-I find them more stylish. Unless you fit with the "bling" look with a silver watch (I don't) digitals are more natural and they don't feel old. (Don't flame me for this).

And there you have it.

So, can anyone doubt this? Can anyone come up with a list like this for analog?

Also wondering, does age matter when it comes to watch preference?

Also wondering, does age matter when it comes to watch preference?

I think adults (30+) are more interested in analog (Mr. W exception) because it looks nicer and more professional.

At least, that's my opinion. Any adults want to confirm this hypothesis?

I think adults (30+) are more interested in analog (Mr. W exception) because it looks nicer and more professional.

At least, that's my opinion. Any adults want to confirm this hypothesis?

Yeah, because the styling of digital watches looks less serious? Again, any adults want to testify?

20? my god...

Are there any real adults? Not imposter's like ydoaps (ff spell check suggests soapsuds...)

Personally I think it's what he said, adults may think that digitals look tacky and cheap because they're plastic and not some shiny metal.

20? my god...

Are there any real adults? Not imposter's like ydoaps (ff spell check suggests soapsuds...)

Personally I think it's what he said, adults may think that digitals look tacky and cheap because they're plastic and not some shiny metal.

I actually prefer my leather band to metal. Although the actually watch part is metal.

Check out the SkyHawk A-T, specializing in pilot watches. ($375 to &795 USD depending on which model). It even has a solar cell to run!

skyhawk%20a-t%20small.jpg

These are the fancy features on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Skyhawk-Titanium-JY0010-50E/dp/B0012IR0U2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1211333601&sr=8-1

It's the only watch you'll ever need.

It's tough to make a blanket statement like "digital watches are tacky," or "analog watches are fancy" since they all differ.

The thing that's tacky is caring what other people think, not the watch. :cool:

I don't know who would wear a digital watch anymore. I used to when I was younger, then I started carrying around a cell phone with a clock, which accomplished the same thing.

Digital watches are generally pretty tacky, although I've seen some pretty nice ones.

That said I wear an analog watch.