Watch Preference

antimatter

What Type Of Watch Do You Prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Type Of Watch Do You Prefer?

• Digital
    • Analog
    • The Force (you don't need a watch)

A few days ago I was walking around and I saw a new watch store.

I stared a bit through the window at some of the newer models and I got curious.

What do people really prefer? Analog, or Digital, and why?

Personally I prefer digital watches, mostly because they're lighter, stronger, less expensive, and while I can read analog fairly quickly, digital is just much faster to read.

I do have some friends though who prefer analog, and I'd like to know why people choose one, or the other.

So if you care to voice your opinion on the matter go ahead, I'm very curious.

I wear a Casio CMD-40 and have done for the last decade I`m on my second one (I`ve already worn one out over the last 9 years) but have a few in reserve.

I also have a pocket watch that I carry everywhere in my waistcoat pocket, and also a watch for going out in (it`s a rather nice one!).

I've used an analog Timex for years now. I never did like the digital watches I've owned (probably because they were cheap and crappy-looking), and I'm very fast at reading an analog watch, so the only reason for me to switch would be for the extra stopwatch features and all that jazz... and I don't need them.

I wear a Casio CMD-40 and have done for the last decade I`m on my second one (I`ve already worn one out over the last 9 years) but have a few in reserve.

I also have a pocket watch that I carry everywhere in my waistcoat pocket, and also a watch for going out in (it`s a rather nice one!).

Casio CMD-40? Isn't that the one with the calculator?

I myself use a beat up Timex Ironman (an old model of it).

My uncle uses a pocket watch...well, he doesn't use it, he just sort of keeps it around.

I usually don't have a watch; there's plenty of clocks all around and I usually carry my mobile phone with me, anyways. The one occasion that I had a watch I had was during the two years that I worked as a paramedic and it was an analog watch. I did not explicitly chose it because it was non-digital but I imagine pulse checking to be slightly (bordering to negligibly) more complicated because with an analog watch you can see the 10, 15, 20 or 30 seconds that you count pulses visually while with a digital watch you have to compute and remember the stop time during counting which, being two arithmetic operations at once for the brain, sound more complicated and error-prone than one arithmetic and one geometric/visual operation.

I usually don't have a watch; there's plenty of clocks all around and I usually carry my mobile phone with me, anyways. The one occasion that I had a watch I had was during the two years that I worked as a paramedic and it was an analog watch. I did not explicitly chose it because it was non-digital but I imagine pulse checking to be slightly (bordering to negligibly) more complicated because with an analog watch you can see the 10, 15, 20 or 30 seconds that you count pulses visually while with a digital watch you have to compute and remember the stop time during counting which, being two arithmetic operations at once for the brain, sound more complicated and error-prone than one arithmetic and one geometric/visual operation.

That's a very valid point Atheist, I didn't think of it like that before.

When it comes to measurements like that, you're right, it's easier for it to be more visual rather than computational.

At my school there are a lot of clocks, but almost all of them are wrong, and I have bad vision, so it's easier to look at my wrist instead of looking to the other end of the room.

I own a few watches, and my preference is analog because I think they look nicer... I like watches, and clockwork in general....

I used to like analog a lot, but after a while I was just more interested in having a watch that I could look at, and know the time in a fraction of a second.

I also like clockwork, it's fascinated me for quite a while.

I have a casio PAS400B - the "Pathfinder fishing timer" watch. It's nifty, even though I don't fish. I prefer analogs, but people insist on buying me digitals (it was a gift).

I like this because it can 'compute' sunrise/sunset times if you enter the lat/long (and the date, of course).

One of these days I'm going to invest in a nice pocket watch.

Here's another question for you guys... are you an "innie" on an "outie." That is, do you wear your watch on the outside or the inside on your wrist.

Personally, I like wearing it on the inside, though sometimes I turn it out when typing. I just think checking the time is faster that way.

I have a casio PAS400B - the "Pathfinder fishing timer" watch. It's nifty, even though I don't fish. I prefer analogs, but people insist on buying me digitals (it was a gift).

I like this because it can 'compute' sunrise/sunset times if you enter the lat/long (and the date, of course).

One of these days I'm going to invest in a nice pocket watch.

Here's another question for you guys... are you an "innie" on an "outie." That is, do you wear your watch on the outside or the inside on your wrist.

Personally, I like wearing it on the inside, though sometimes I turn it out when typing. I just think checking the time is faster that way.

Ah yes, the Casio PAS400B, I've seen a few of those, they're very nice watches, I was considering one, but I went for my science teacher's recommendation instead.

That's also a good question, ecoli!

I usually wear it on the outside, mostly because my watch looks very odd when I wear it on the inside, as in, the watchband is sort of weird looking.

When I wear my analog I usually wear it on the inside so it doesn't get scratched as much as it does when I wear it on the outside.

Yeah, I got the same problem at work.

This has reminded me that when working my watch wearing changes, as in rooms with lasers you're not supposed to wear watches (the ones I normally wear have metal bracelets so not good at all!), and if you run an experiment and know it'll take about 20mins can be good to set a count down timer for about 20 mins...

I've got about 3 analog and 1 digital. I wear the analogs primarily, as they are more dressy and appropriate for work. The only time I tend to wear the digitial is when I'm working outside in the lawn or garden, or if I'm in the garage working on my bike. It can get banged up and I don't really care. I do prefer the "fashion accessory" part of my analogs though. :)

That's another thing, digital watches are...how do I say this...expendable?

They're less expensive, and thus, easier to replace.

For school I don't really need to wear a dressy watch or anything, so that's probably another reason why I tend not to wear analog.

I did have a Casio analog/digital hybrid at one point, but it got reeeaallly scratched up.

I thought atomic clocks were more accurate.

Yes, but they still all disagree. It's a really small disagreement, but only one clock can possibly be right. Ergo, most of the clocks at work are wrong.

(And it was a joke. ;) )

Casio CMD-40? Isn't that the one with the calculator?

yes, and dual stopwatch, alarm, hourly chime, full TV and Video Universal remote control, and a remote control Learn facility that allows me to assimilate any other remote control.

it tells the time also! :D

CMD40F-7CB.gif