Hair and eye colors

Guest dumpshock

Guest dumpshock

I have been scouring the net looking for a statistical study (actually, just the results of one) on the proportion of different hair and eye colors among people. So far, I've been able to find virtually nothing.

I thought I'd check genetics information, since knowing what genes and what combinations would make the necessary proportions relatively easy to calculate in a classic probability sense, but it appears that researchers aren't absolutely certain about the genes that decide these characteristics yet.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a statistical study I could reference or if there is more specific genetic information I could use to generate probabilities for specific hair and eye colors. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this.

Shawn Bruckner

actually it's pretty simple. there's only one gene, and it effects them both. if the gene is recessive, you get blue eyes and usually light hair. deviations from blue (i.e. green) eyes is purely biochemical, since more than genes effect these things. this is especially evident in cats. An experiment published in Nature where a cat was cloned showed that the clones had different fur patterns than the original.

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by YoungStrife

Didn't we all start off with brown/black eyes? Brown---->green------->blue How could someone get red eyes? I have a friend with that.

Do they have contacts?:D

The easy answer;

But then, human beings immigrated to other places right? Maybe the conditions changed them through evolution; b/c the climate and surroundings were different than the original. Then, they needed to adapt to their surroundings, and had their eyes become red b/c it does less damage from the sun...or something along those sorts.

Red pigment is an extremely hard color to produce for looks. It has no adaptational advantage for eye color. The brown to eventually blue is natures use it or lose it policy.

Once an animal has no use for something, then over a period of time it loses it. People with lighter eye color are a proof of the lose it group, as are white people compared to black people.

Originally posted by YoungStrife

Red pigment is an extremely hard color to produce for looks. It has no adaptational advantage for eye color. The brown to eventually blue is natures use it or lose it policy.

Once an animal has no use for something, then over a period of time it loses it. People with lighter eye color are a proof of the lose it group, as are white people compared to black people.

Actually, Red eyes would serve as a "slight" advantage in dusk or low light conditions. Is your friend a Bandicoot or semi-nocturnal mammal?

Bill

• 1 year later...
Guest Tash

Just wondering if anything has been found on hair color blonde vs Brunette in particular??? stats etc ratio's

Just wondering if anything has been found on hair color blonde vs Brunette in particular??? stats etc ratio's

while this is slightly out of my field of study/interest, but you might want to look for a good Cultural Anthropology website.

then again, old Nazi documents would also have such stats and studies.