my Monster Thermometer!

YT2095

I had an odd piece of glassware that needed an application, and it So reminded me of a thermometer, that I figured Why not!

therm1.JPG

top down: therm2.JPG

I`m using methylated spirits in it, this stuff in the UK has a purple color, so I added a little Rhodamine B to it to make the color a little more visible.

it`s accuracy is amazing with a resolution of 5 degrees c over 8mm.

although it`s not a very Fast thermometer, in a room where theres slow temp changes it works great!

it`s also under a partial vacuum as I heated the liquid up to 50c and then sealed the top.

I`ll find a nice piece of wood somewhere and mount the whole thing on it eventually, maybe put it on a wall or something.

I had an odd piece of glassware that needed an application, and it So reminded me of a thermometer, that I figured Why not!

therm1.JPG

I`m using methylated spirits in it, this stuff in the UK has a purple color, so I added a little Rhodamine B to it to make the color a little more visible.

it`s accuracy is amazing with a resolution of 5 degrees c over 8mm.

although it`s not a very Fast thermometer, in a room where theres slow temp changes it works great!

it`s also under a partial vacuum as I heated the liquid up to 50c and then sealed the top.

I`ll find a nice piece of wood somewhere and mount the whole thing on it eventually, maybe put it on a wall or something.

Neat use of the glassware. I think it might be a specific gravity instrument for measuring the density of acids on the baume scale. my fellow instructor recently found one in the physics lab and brought it to me wondering what it was. I wouldn't have guessed it except that it said "baume" on the side, and that also looked like a giant thermometer... hang on... he uses this forum... that's not you is it? MS?

Is that a compressed gas cylinder sitting in front of the wall vent? That’s not a heating vent, right? Also, I like the wall color is that paint or wallpaper?

Sorry.

Anyway, I was looking at giant wall thermometers the other day and they are expensive! If you mounted that on a nice wood plate and change the color to a less pink hue, you could make good money.

it is indeed a compressed Gas cylinder, it`s 99.9% pure O2 (medical) in front of it is a Solar power cell (briefcase type), but no, it`s not a heat vent, it`s just for natural air circulation.

the Gas cylinder in the 1`st pic, is a CO2 one, it`s next to that Tank.

it is a textured wall paper.

as for the Alc color I could make it more or less any color I liked, it`s just that This particular alc I used for the experiment had a Purple tinge, so I added Rhodamine B to get a better contrast.