A few dumb questions

Cmac22

Hey, these questions probably will seem dumb to you but im kinda learning stuff on my own here so help would be nice.

i was just trying to understand the whole E=mc^2 equation. i understand its about the energy in atoms and stuff, but does that mean that energy can have mass? what i was really wondering is does energy cause gravity? can light cause gravity?

see, dumb questions heh

it means that mass is related to energy. Mass can be converted into energy, like in an atomic bomb explosion, or in a nuclear reactor.

Mass is the source of gravity (not energy or light).

That's not the whole equation. E2=(mc2)2+(pc)2 where E is energy, m is rest mass, p is momentum, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum. E=mc2 assumes whatever system you are analyzing is at rest with respect to you.

• 2 weeks later...
but if mass and energy are similar, that is mass can be converted to energy, then cant energy be converted into mass? hence gravity?

I think that’s the whole higgs thing though I am not sure by any means. I wish someone who knew would come and post on such.

but if mass and energy are similar, that is mass can be converted to energy, then cant energy be converted into mass? hence gravity?

Yes energy can be converted into mass, and this happens in pair creation, and in high energy particle collisions like cosmic rays or particle accelerators. But that does not simply lead to hence gravity...