Is time travel possible?

Zeo

What do you thinK?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you thinK?

• yes
    • no
    • uncertain

1-with our current theories we proved/assumed that we cannot travel at the speed of light...but to our knowledge our theories are correct.

2-in my opinion time is not a physical dimension it is a mathematical concept to describe the interaction of matter.

That is time is really a simple way of foreseeing how a systems will develop. BUt it has nothing to do with the system. Its sort of like statistics, a tool not reality.

3-Cellular automatons are time-irreversible unlless you can save the whole n^D system, which is computationall expensive. Time-irreversible meaning that given a state of the system, you are unable to trace back to a state before this state(post if you want further explanation of this).

Therefore if you were to really time travel, you would either

1) have to save the system at time = t which is impossible because you would be saving our known universe and whatever is out there.

2) you would have to retrace every step of every particle in the known universe back to whatever timeline you wnat to go to.

and that is computationally infeasible both computer and quantum

because you would not know where that particle was at that time.

Thus in my opinion multiverses are more plausible than timetravel.

Just for the logical fact that...how would you know if you traveled back intime or to another universe.

dear zeo, as you should know there is no such thing as time, we call it time but what it realy is, is a measurment of events, if you go in a streight line almost forever you'll come back to where you started proving that time and space is curved. which has alot to do with gravity, as you know if you were to look at the solar system and look at it from a point of view from gravity fields you'll see its not a flat plane its a wave filled with little holes and the planets sit in these little holes which are held there bye gravity which your local star. but this is the basic law of the universe, einstien had a special theory of relativity where you could hook onto these fields and use it to power you across the universe. quite a concept ay?

Deckard said in post # :

dear zeo, as you should know there is no such thing as time, we call it time but what it realy is, is a measurment of events, if you go in a streight line almost forever you'll come back to where you started proving that time and space is curved. which has alot to do with gravity, as you know if you were to look at the solar system and look at it from a point of view from gravity fields you'll see its not a flat plane its a wave filled with little holes and the planets sit in these little holes which are held there bye gravity which your local star. but this is the basic law of the universe, einstien had a special theory of relativity where you could hook onto these fields and use it to power you across the universe. quite a concept ay?

Rating thread 5.

Hmm.. an interesting topic. but the conventional way which humans percieve time travel is something that is unattainable. For example:

Traveling through a portal or temporal feild would immediately alter the Space time continum. This change would cause a massive gravitational spike which would literaly destroy or distort the magnetic feild of even something like the sun. Hence the past to which u would be traveling would possibly cease to exist, thus ur reason for time travel would be removed as you would have never existed. But that in itself raises a question. If u never existed then u never went back so u would exist and therefore would go back... sounds rather like a temporal loop to me :confused:

what about traveling foward in time? honestly i think the space time continuom would be able to stand that. But again not the way we envision. For instance, we all know of "time capsules" we technicaly the fact they are forgotten and then re-found is time travel. The passage through time is something humans will never master nor completely comprehend.

and i know i used this term but i must get ppl to understand the "space time" concept... ppl... space is time, the existance of something makes it appart of time. so to say space time ur realyl saying time time.... drop the use :oP

ok im gunna call it quits for a nite, yeh early and all but smeh.

ive been up for over a day... gimme a break :oP

respond if u want or reply in private....

interesting concept this traveling but can matter truely exist at a point other then where it already does?

but then with time travel comes the Star Trek legacy to science.. transporters.. buts thats another topic :oP

lol

• 1 month later...

Time is a dimention, but it's not that it "exist in our minds", we just don't know how to control it.

A time travel - theoretically - is possible to the future. Coming back to the past is harder, since its already gone and "non existant". The simplest "explanation" to how time travel could be done is by thinking of Einstein's theory of relativity. He has proved that time is PERSONAL and not a constant variable of the universe.

Meaning, that if you put two atomic clocks - one on top of a high mountain and the other at the bottom of a valley, the two watches would NOT be synchronized after a while. Means that the time for the person on top of the mountain travelled "faster" than the time for the person on the bottom of the valley.

By the way - tests were made to show this.

So now the even more visualistic way to present this would be the "Twins Paradox" (which isn't really a paradox to those who take Einstein's theory for granted) --

one twin stays in earth while the other takes a near-speed-of-light travel in the universe.

When the other twin comes back, he will be conciderably younger than the other twin.

So yes, in my opinion time travel CAN happen. Physics supports it.

I actually think a "backstep" time travel is also possible - though that is a bit less relying on physics and more on phylosophy. If you want I can explain that part.

~moo

Kedas said in post # :

Of couse time travel is possible.

I do it every day.

I start at 7h15 and arrive at 8h30.

(I traveled with changing time)

lol

dont forget about how you travelled back in time to have - hours on the activity thingy.

;)

• 10 months later...

I have pondered long and hard on this puzzle and have arrived at the only conclusion possible which is as follows:

A ding ding ding ding dididing ding bing bing pscht,

Dorhrm bom bom bedom bem bom bedom bom bum ba ba bom bom,

Bouuuuum bom bom bedahm, Bom be barbedarm bedabedabedabeda

Bbrrrrrimm bbrrrrramm bbbrrrrrrrrraammmmm ddddddraammm,

Bah bah baah baah ba wheeeeeee-eeeee-eeeee!