Is time travel possible?

Zeo

What do you thinK?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you thinK?

• yes
    • no
    • uncertain

the question that dwells on almost any physics professor, of philosopher's mind is "Is time travel possible?" Well, why shouldn't it be?? We all are in fact time travelers ourselves. We all move forward in time, well, at least we all perceive to be moving forward in time. In fact, when you really think about it, we could all be moving backwards in time...time may not be moving at all. It could be stopped at the very moment that I am writing this...Of course you'll say "that's impossible, if time has stopped, how can I be reading this??" but we are forgetting the fact that maybe time has stopped for someone else. After all, time travel has a lot to do with perception. Setting this aside, one must ask oneself, what rate are we moving in time?? Like I said before, time could be moving in reverse, but at what rate? Well, the truth is that the rate of time is impossible to document, or place into any tangible form. for all we know, we oculd be moving so fast through time that it rivals light speed. One would never know however, because we are limited only to our own perception. When you really think about it...(I do this a lot by the way:D), time could have already gone by. We all could be dead at this very moment, only our consciences are perceiving it to be very slow. Time could go by in a blur, however, we have no way of knowing. This is one of those things that you really have to think about...anyway, the stereo type of time travel is walking through a portal and finding oneself in some other time, lets just say, maybe a year ago. This could very well be possible. If one could manipulate gravity so much that it would rupture the very fabrics of the space-time continuum, it could be very possible. However, I perceive time travel to be watching time go by, if not forwards, but backwards too. Then you have to work in the rate of moving forward in time at a faster rate than others. This is something I do not think is within our grasp. It probably won't be for a long time after we're all dead and futuristic philosophers are pouring over this data trying to make sense of it all. It would take serious gravity manipulation...well...I guess I'm done boring all of you. IM me or email me sometime on thursdays or sundays. That's when im on. Zeorashiari@netscape.net the name is the same for my screennames. Zeorashiari is my screenname.

It's hard to give you any answers that are testable. What is the smallest increment of time we can measure? Photons moving is a good indicator of time but how small of a movement is an increment.

Add energy and we can move forward in time at a faster rate.

The opposite is not true since no energy still has us moving forward through time only slower.

Good question.

Just aman

• 4 months later...
Guest bunnies4ever

Time travel is definetely possible. We are moving through time right now, except in one direction. However, on the question of is time travel possible in the sense of changing "direction", such as travelling to the Past, or Future in an inordinate amount of time, yes I do believe it is possible.

We people with animal based names tend to stick together. :P

Besides, not only is time travel possibe I've found a place that sells the blueprints for different devices.

http://www.futurehorizons.net/time.htm

I like the one to recreate the Philadelphia Experiment, presumably we get to die a painfull death as well.

Will anyone lend me $24.00?

• 4 weeks later...

Time travel is very possible. Every second of every day we are traveling to another point time. But to describe motion in a certain dimension you need the dimension above it and everyone below it. For example speed is always described as

unit of length/elementary unit of time, so motion through time must be described as

unit of time\unit of the manifestation of the 5th dimension

consequently, To understand time travel we must understand 5th dimensional space.

LOL i AM BACK FOOLS. TO ANSWER YOUR IGNORANT QUESTIONS. Ofcourse time travel is possible. Havent any of you seen Lois and Clarke the new adventures of superman? In it Tempest uses a time machine, and describes how he uses it. IF you people would just get your nerdy 4 eyes heads out of books, FAF in particular, you would realize what the real world has already discovered. DUH

• 2 months later...
Guest wolram

i find it hard to visulise time as a dimention, in the macro world nothing travels backward in time, yes time dilation is a fact but that is different, true time travel would be paradoxical, all the parallel universe stuff is for the sci fi club,when someone brings me a photo of a cave man i will believe..

Originally posted by wolram

true time travel would be paradoxical

Go get a degree in physics, then a masters, then a doctorate.

Then you might be able to make such grand, sweeping, meaningless statements.

Guest wolram

sayanora, show how to have event before cause then show memory of every event that has ever happened then try reversing gravity then you may shout your mouth off until then go back to watching your sci fi

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by wolram

sayanora, show how to have event before cause then show memory of every event that has ever happened then try reversing gravity then you may shout your mouth off until then go back to watching your sci fi

Well, guess you showed me with your superior reasoning.

in stephen hawkings book the universe in a nutshell he says he showed that the probability of something large traveling back in time is 1/10^(10^60). thats really what it was but he said that small particles travel back in time all the time i think. it was something like that i dont remember it clearly. anyway im no expert on this i just thought maybe this would be interesting to know.

Does that mean the probability of something spontaneously travelling back in time at any given moment, or of us managing to transport something back "artificially" during the existence of the universe?

Can some mods ban that bunny freak for having such a freakin freaky avatar. It really bothers me. Then after you ban him, hunt him down and i think you should kill him maybe. Well that might be a bit harsh--- just do whats in your best judgement.

Is there a way you can instantantly switch equivilant amounts of matter (through time--- doing so through space would basically just be displacement right?)? Then i think theres no problem with time travel. Actually i have no idea how it could really work, so i don't know what laws it would or wouldn't break to have to be possible. The only problem after my thoughts is spacial, if you remove yourself from now, you remove matter---- which cannot be destroyed or created, so wouldn't that break a law of physics? Or would it just pressurize the universe (in a supremely small way). Someone aughta hunt down my old thread on time travel to see my other ideas about it.