The End of Science.

Vexer

John Horgan interviews a lot of scientific luminaries, ostensibly about the idea that Science has got the Big Picture already, and rest will be filling in the details.

This book isn't interesting because it's main theme (which 90% of you will dismiss as silly, out of hand), but because of the wide canvas of subjects the interviewees talk about. Gould, Dawkins, Margulis, many more. Just sayin' stuff, about A.I., aliens, God, fractals, philosophy of science, etc. Illuminating. (If not about the subject, then about the people).

"There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement." -Lord Kelvin 1900

he was wrong, this will be wrong.

we are still making new discoveries and we will likely carry on making new discoveries.

Laypeople tend to overestimate our understanding of the universe, mostly because, in school, they concentrate on what we know and often in a very rigid matter. Also, science popularizers also tend to focus on the problems we solved.

There's so much unknown stuff in physics it's truely amazing, the more we learn about the universe the more we realise that we don't know a damn thing that's happening. People who claim that science is nearly dead or that the "theory of everything" will end all our problems in physics are talking complete bull shit!

Like I said, predicable, 90 %....

But you should read it anyway.

There's even some good stuff (which I just read) about How Evolution

Could Be Wrong. Would have come in handy in the thread I was just abused (and blocked) in.

(Also some good stuff about ants, which are more philosophically disturbing than you are likely to realize).

One of the fundamental things in a scientific theory is that they are falsifiable, so yes of course they could be wrong else they're not science, but the key is they've been tested and not found to be wrong, or if they have the reasons have be found and the theory modified (or even a new more general theory).

• 2 weeks later...
There's so much unknown stuff in physics it's truely amazing, the more we learn about the universe the more we realise that we don't know a damn thing that's happening. People who claim that science is nearly dead or that the "theory of everything" will end all our problems in physics are talking complete bull shit!

You are so correct. I strongly believe a theory of everything will only the next step to uncovering the entire truth even if there is one.

We know essentially nothing about the universe or what it contains.

That leaves plenty of room for discovery, no?

Cheers,

O3

Agreed... our lack of knowledge is simply mind blowing! It's great! :D

Whaddayamean? The universe is filled with Teh Misterious Dark Mattah!

Researchers have discovered everything about it: it's dark, and mysterious!

Therefore there is nothing to be discovered anymore. QED

(We're basically at the same point as when the earth was flat and the sun was in orbit around us).

:D