sodium hyrdroxide help please

dom3mo

Please i added ammonia hydroxide to sodium chloride, I boiled the white precipitate and collected the powder in alunium foil. I did not know the toxcity of sodium hydroxide when i made it. .Will this hurt me

Assuming you did actually produce sodium hydroxide, you should remember that it's a strong base and would be caustic if it touched your skin. Handle it with care (preferably with gloves). If some comes in contact with your skin (or anything else you value), wash it off immediately.

...i added ammonia hydroxide to sodium chloride, I boiled the white precipitate and collected the powder in alunium foil. I did not know the toxcity of sodium hydroxide when i made it...

Nice experiment, but you've just precipitated a portion of sodium chloride back again. Feel free to use your product in the kitchen again.

... why the addition of something that's mainly water and has no ion in common should precipitate salt from solution....
If we add the 30% solution of spirit in water into concentrated solution of sodium chloride, most of salt will precipitate as well.

How is it possible, if the solution consist mostly of water and the spirit has no ions? Hint.

Dom3mo,

do NOT listen to this FOOL!

Feel free to use your product in the kitchen again.

absolutely do NOT reuse this salt!

if you can`t Buy NaOH or just want to try and make some of your own for the enjoyment, then make a strong soln of washing soda (sodium carbonate) and make a slurry of garden lime and water then pour the carbonate in and stir well.

you`ll have Sodium Hydroxide soln ;)

Dom3mo,

May I ask why are trying to make sodium hydroxide? It is indeed very caustic stuff and if you did not have a very good use for it, I would recommend (imo) that you DONT fool around with it.

Jen

To make water more conductive.