Diabetes

Eadaoin

Diabetes is very common nowadays and doctors and scientists are trying to get rid of it. I am ten years old and I have diabetes but it is not so bad. I've only had it for 1 year and a half so I'm not exactly accustomned to it. There is now a needle-free injection I tried it but I think it is quite confusing.

If you have diabetes or want to know more, reply!

Hi Eadaoin,

I was ten years old when I was diagnosed with Diabetes. You probably have Type I, correct?

It takes a lot of responsibility growing up and taking good care of yourself, but it's really not too hard if you put your mind to it. It's actually very empowering, knowing that you have a very real effect on your life and health, and only you can control how healthy you are.

I used to take three shots each day. One in the morning before breakfeast, another in the evening before dinner, then a third right before bedtime.

A few years ago, I chose to go on the insulin pump, and I LOVE it! It's a very different approach to care, but it works well for me. :)

I've been diabetic for 20 years now, and the single best advice I can give you is to check your blood sugar as often as possible. The more times you test it, then the better you can deal with it... whether that be having a small snack or taking a quick bolus of insulin.

Also, there's very few things which you cannot do in this world just because of diabetes, so don't ever let it stop you. About 4 years ago, I tested into black belt in kung fu, and that was a very proud day for me. :)

How does needle free injection work? I don't think I have seen that before. Can you describe it?

Take care of yourself. I'm not an expert, but I have a lot of personal and first hand experience, so if you ever have any questions, just ask!

Welcome to SFN.

One way to do needle-free injection involves a thin stream of liquid at extremely high pressures. Essentially, the liquid hits you so hard it goes right through your skin. Its quite painless as the size of the "water needle" is far thiner than a real needle, but I think it requires a rather large machine. I don't know if this is what you are talking about though.

i'm diabetic too. Diagnosed when i was 8, i'm now 29.

I'm very unstable, but have so far managed to control mine fairly well, although i badly want to go onto the pump, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I might pay for it with my own money.