Dog Evolution

I have a Youtube account where I am discussing religion and science. I am currently working on a video project on dog evolution. I'd like to find out about their canine ancestors who lived millions of years ago. Does anyone know of any good resources?

Thanks

I have a Youtube account where I am discussing religion and science. I am currently working on a video project on dog evolution. I'd like to find out about their canine ancestors who lived millions of years ago. Does anyone know of any good resources?

Thanks

3. C Vila` , P Savolainen, JE. Maldonado, IR. Amorim, JE. Rice, RL. Honeycutt, KA. Crandall, JLundeberg, RK. Wayne, Multiple and Ancient Origins of the Domestic Dog Science 276: 1687-1689, 13 JUNE 1997. Dogs no longer one species but 4 according to the genetics. http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/wayne1.htm

Mitochondrial DNA from Prehistoric Canids Highlights Relationships Between Dogs and South-East European Wolves.

F. Verginelli, C. Capelli, V. Coia, M. Musiani, M. Falchetti, L. Ottini, R. Palmirotta, A. Tagliacozzo, I. De Grossi Mazzorin, and R. Mariani-Costantini (2005)

Mol. Biol. Evol. 22, 2541-2551

| Abstract » | Full Text » | PDF »

A detailed picture of the origin of the Australian dingo, obtained from the study of mitochondrial DNA.

P. Savolainen, T. Leitner, A. N. Wilton, E. Matisoo-Smith, and J. Lundeberg (2004)

PNAS 101, 12387-12390

Genetic Structure of the Purebred Domestic Dog.

H. G. Parker, L. V. Kim, N. B. Sutter, S. Carlson, T. D. Lorentzen, T. B. Malek, G. S. Johnson, H. B. DeFrance, E. A. Ostrander, and L. Kruglyak (2004)

Science 304, 1160-1164

• 2 weeks later...
!ymehpsalB

I can definitely imagine that as the name of a medicine... perhaps one that inhibits theistic tendencies in pathological religious nut jobs.

Thanks for your help.

I have the video ready on YouTube:

Hope you enjoy!

not bad... cool music

• 3 months later...

Excellent video. There is book on the evolution of cananines that I always recommend: Dogs: Their Fossil Relatives and Evolutionary History by Xiaoming Wang. Perhaps you should enlighten us with a video on the evolution of some other mammal... I'll be looking forward to it...

Edited by jonathangiraldo

Where did the forefathers of the dog become mammals?

Back in the Jurassic. That's when a species of mammal-like reptiles became mammals. Look up "mammal-like reptiles" on a web search.

Remember, "dogs" are part of the family "canine" which are part of the order "carnivore" which are part of the class "mammals". So way back in the Jurassic you have a group of species called "mammal-like reptiles" that have some features of reptiles and some of mammals. One species of that group gave rise to the first mammalian species. That species, in turn, gave rise to all subsequent mammalian species by the process known as "cladogenesis" -- which is when an existing species splits in two (or more). One population of the existing species is isolated either by geography (allopatric) or lifestyle (sympatric) and transforms to a new species. So now you have 2 (or more) species where there was once one.

At the beginning of the Tertiary after the extinction of the dinos, the few surviving mammalian and bird species underwent a huge cladogenesis called "adaptive radiation" because there were all those empty ecological niches once filled by dinos. That is when you see the beginnings of the families of carnivores emerge.