Watch out of the EEE-s

PauloChem

Ok so I tried a simple experiment

I mixed 20% HCl solution with Zinc and guess what I got throat irritation from breathing in HCl fumes.

2HCl + Zn ---> ZnCl2 + H2

Cl- But there must be some Cl- maybe with water. Now this Cl- sucker are baddd.

So If you want to experiment with HCl wear a wet t-shirt or something around your mouth.

Oh and also check all the E-s in wikipedia.

Hydrogen chloride (HCl) is a monoprotic acid, which means it can dissociate (i.e., ionize) only once to give up one H+ ion (a single proton). In aqueous hydrochloric acid, the H+ joins a water molecule to form a hydronium ion, H3O+:

HCl + H2O ⇌ H3O+ + Cl−

The other ion formed is Cl−, the chloride ion. Hydrochloric acid can therefore be used to prepare salts called chlorides, such as sodium chloride. Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid, since it is fully dissociated in water.

Sorry for the earlier mistake. Now that little sucker makes you irritated.

it doesn't emit chlorine. if it released chlorine you would know nearly immediately from the swimming pool smell. also in any sort of major concentration it will put you into a coughing fit. it wasn't used as a chemical weapon in two world wars for nothing.

what you`v stupidly inhaled has been HCl vapor, emitted via 2 processes.

1, the Zinc will heat the acid

2, as the H2 bubbles "Pop" they will spray minute acid particles into the air.

next time you try this, put a Clean sheet of glass on top of the beaker, then examine the glass after the reaction has completed.

Thanks YT for the explanation to my stupid inhaling hehe. Ok so the Cl- ion didn't do it. He thanks you for clearing his name.

Oh and a question , is there a way of getting Cl2 with electrolysis of the solution which has free Cl- ions floating.

eBay.

that`s where I got mine from, although I use Israeli NBC filters for it not from eBay.

Ideally you want a NATO mask with an S10 fitting, and do NOT compromise on the filters!

although a simple piece of wet Litmus paper will show Cl2 quite nicely as well :P