You Can Keep Your Hat On.

Vexer

tvp45,

From what I've read, We don't have a clue about this.

From what I've read it's just you that doesn't have a clue about it. I's a no-brainer - a cover over your head shades you from the sun. A thicker wooly one insulates you in the winter and keeps the heat in - it's obvious (just like the density being mass over volume no-brainer you couldn't get your head arround in that other thread).

No offence mean't here - there are plenty of 'clues' given above for you to ponder about the answer and you should be able to work it out from here. If not - then try the experiment that Skeptic suggested with the wooly hat in the sunshine and see how you get on!

...........................................................................................................................................

Here's another experiment for you - get 3 thermometers and 3 polystyrene blocks.

Place the 3 polystyrene blocks on the ground next to each other in direct sunlight. Place the thermometers on top of each. Leave the 1st uncovered, the 2nd cover with a black baseball cap, the 3rd with a white one. Come back in an hour and look at the respective temps. This should be conclusive. I'll bet you some forum reputation that the uncovered is the hottest followed by the one covered with the black cap followed by the one covered by the white one.. If not - then send me the caps and I'll eat them! :)