You Can Keep Your Hat On.

Vexer

I didn't know which category this fitted in, but you got the duty:

When it’s hot. They say, “wear a hat”. To keep the heat off (No, not just the UV). When it’s cold, they say, “wear a hat”.

“30% of your body heat is ‘lost’ via your head…”

Isn’t this crazy talk?

Your hot blooded brain isn’t going to conserve body heat because it’s got a hat on it?

Isn’t putting a hat on, in summer, going to make you hotter? Given the above?

My idea is that ‘hat’s have no net-effect at all except in extreme, extreme. Circumstances.

Can a hat, at any time (not counting a blizzard), do any good?

The sunshine on a hot day can actually make your head hotter than 37 degrees (the outside of it: your hair and skin).

In that case a hat will not keep your body heat in, but in stead it keeps the outside heat out. The temperature gradient is reversed and the hat keeps you cool.

This is also why desert nomads wear thick clothes.

insulation is just that.

in the case of a hat it acts as a Buffer, so in the winter it keeps heat in, and in the summer it keeps heat Out.

how else do you think a Thermos flask works for both hot or cold materials?

yes it can. the sunlight dumps a lot of heat onto your head. especially if you have dark hair or are bald and have dark skin.

a hat(prefferably light coloured) will reflect a lot of this light.

that said, you are trying to equate winter and summer hats in the OP. in winter, a wooly hat would be best as it insulates. if you put that on in summer, the people who told you to put a hat on would probably think you were a bit thick. in summer a hat that allows airflow around the head and provides a bit of shade is whats called for. sombreros are good. and again, if you wore a sombrero in winter, people would think you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

The right hat at the right time will work as they say it does but the wrong hat at the wrong time will just make you look silly.

Is there any scientific evidence that any hats are more than a wank?

(I can't think of any hunter-gatherer group that ever wore any kind of hat for environmental reasons. Eskimo hoods not-withstanding)

your Fetishes and sexual predilection aside, What are you on about?

you`v been answered More than adequately and with Scientific evidence.

yes, there is. you wear a hat on your head, and a wank is when you masturbate. these are two very different things. not sure how you could get the two confused. if you are one of these people, best not to go anywhere that head gear may be required.

(I can't think of any hunter-gatherer group that ever wore any kind of hat for environmental reasons. Eskimo hoods not-withstanding)

just because hats help, doesn't mean that they are necessary.

Hats, shoes, loincloths, clothes, were all worn, or not, by various people groups as necessary in their environment. In the tropics, it was not too uncommon not to wear anything at all, whereas eskimos need a full set of windproof and insulating clothes, including for the head. Sombreros were worn in various hot, sunny places, and are easy to make so I don't doubt that the indigenous people wore them, especially if they knew agriculture.

Yes. See Army Research Insitute of Environmental Medicine.

Ok, if I have to, I will go through it:

yes it can. the sunlight dumps a lot of heat onto your head. especially if you have dark hair or are bald and have dark skin.

Therefore you should never wear a hat when it’s cold.

…a wooly hat would be best as it insulates.. N0… See above.

..in summer a hat that allows airflow around the head and provides a bit of shade is whats called for.

How can wearing a hat allow more airflow than not wearing a hat?

a hat(prefferably light coloured) will reflect a lot of this light. Surely some hair, is better.

The right hat at the right time will work as they say it does but the wrong hat at the wrong time will just make you look silly.

95% of the time? All hats make the wearer look stupid.

oh dear,

Therefore you should never wear a hat when it’s cold.

you are assuming that there is only one type of hat.

…a wooly hat would be best as it insulates.. N0… See above.

you are just argueing for the sake of it aren't you?

..in summer a hat that allows airflow around the head and provides a bit of shade is whats called for.

How can wearing a hat allow more airflow than not wearing a hat?

it doesn't. i never said it did, i just said it didn't impede airflow through the hat and around the head as much as a winter hat.

again you are assuming that the phrase refered to one hat for all occasions.

Surely some hair, is better.

1/ not an option for some (unless you count toupees and those really will make you look silly)

2/ not always, ie. you have the wrong type of hair. etc. etc.

3/hats typically do a better job as summer hats provide a little shade from their brim (sombreros, baseball caps to an extent, ...okay, i'm not an expert on hat types.)

95% of the time? All hats make the wearer look stupid.

this is not about fashion, it is about how a hat can help you stay warm or cool.

I found this in a 2 min google search:

From wikipedia about a man (resarchers named him Otzi) who was found in the Alps, said to be dead for 5300 years: "He also wore a bearskin cap with a leather chin strap."

So, at least 3300 years BC people were wearing hats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi_the_Iceman

And also:

http://www.hatsuk.com/hatsuk/hatsukhtml/bible/history.htm

(which is not a particularly impressive website, because there are no references)... but I'm not going to conduct a long literature research about hats.

I suggest you study the old Egyptians. They lived in a hot place, and they have a long history. If you can find into about their work ethos, and perhaps some info about the schedule (did they work in the hot sun?)... I'd be interested.

I know the Australian 'Aboriginals' had not 'hats'. Nor did the 'Indian' Patagonians. Nor did the 'American' Indians. The list goes on.

I need some science to prove a hat is not more than a fashion thing.

we as in the other members of this forum.

evidence, otzi, ancient cultures such as the egyptians.

the native americans that you mention had head dresses (or hats).

i'm pretty sure any culture that developed farming or herding would have worn hats. Early hats would not preserve well because they would be made of straw and animal skins.

I know the Australian 'Aboriginals' had not 'hats'. Nor did the 'Indian' Patagonians. Nor did the 'American' Indians. The list goes on.

I gave you an answer with the name of a lab that has published research. Why are you still arguing there is "no evidence"?

Here's a simple experiment you can do. On a very hot, sunny, scorching day, wear a thick wool winter hat for several minutes. Then wear a sombrero. Compare the effects. Repeat on a bitterly cold, windy day for comparison.

tvp45, sorry, but I've been shooting my mouth off so much, it's hard to keep up with myself. Let lone search through web sites from the top. You're supposed to explain it to me in two sentences. Because you know, and I don't.

...This is also why desert nomads wear thick clothes.

Thick, dark clothes. Captain. Isn't white supposed to be better? Thin, better? (Then there's some theory that dark clothes set up an induction current of cool, air... etc. and maybe ... and you know?)

From what I've read, We don't have a clue about this.

Most research has been inconclusive on whether dark or light clothing is better in the desert, no matter how the research has been conducted it's always been inconclusive... But that's different to hats... Which has been explained to you in a clear and concise manor in earlier posts.

tvp45, sorry, but I've been shooting my mouth off so much, it's hard to keep up with myself. Let lone search through web sites from the top. You're supposed to explain it to me in two sentences. Because you know, and I don't.

I'm glad to point you toward sources of knowledge, but I didn't take you to raise.