Concentrating Iodine

Stealthspy58

I am trying to create Nitrogen Triiodide (Iodine & Ammonia) for one of my weekly demonstrations. Is there an alternitive route I can use to do this because Iodine Crystals are very expensive. Is there another way to get or change Iodine into an Iodine Crystal?

By heating tincture of iodine

alcohol evaporates and the iodine sublimides...

you could place a glass beaker (containing cold water) above this and hope that the iodine crystalizes on the surface...nt sure if this would work bt worth a try :)

• 4 weeks later...

An easier way to percipitate iodine crystals from tinct would be to add to 100 ml dh2o stir then add 50 ml H2So4 slowly stir (it will become a little warm take caution) then add 5 ml NaOCl Sodium hypochlorite solution, commonly known as bleach. Now watch as the the crystals percipitate to the bottom.

This is one of those experiments that kids love (big loud noise!) but adults should discourage since it involves an unstable, and explosive substance.

When I was a teenager, we used to add ammonia to tincture of iodine till it went clear. We soaked it into filter paper and hung the paper up to dry. Explosive paper, whoopeee! However, not the safest of activities.

My advice is to try and save up for some iodine crystals. they go a long way... once you have some u won't need to buy any more for years. Also If you do get some, don't use more than about 0.3g of iodine for the reaction or the sound of the explosion might be hazardous to hearing. I used 0.4 g once and my ears rang for about 10 minutes afterwards

adults should discourage since it involves an unstable, and explosive substance.

indeed, so no more "recipes" in here please, else Hazmat warning(s) will be issued!

the OP didn`t ask for an NI3 synth anyway.