Shrinking matter.

igosaur

Is it possible that the Universe is no larger now than it was the instant it came into existance so instead of space expanding it is in fact matter that is shrinking?

So an outside observer, presumably a 4D fellow, would see no real difference.

No, because that would mean that we would continuously get denser, which it actually doesn't happen.

But how could we tell? Because all of our measurement devices would also be getting smaller....

As I understand it there is no reason why the evidence could not be thought of as everything getting smaller, but there is no possible way of telling because there can be no outside the universe observer, so we go with expanding because it ties in with the rest of our theories on universe development.

But how could we tell? Because all of our measurement devices would also be getting smaller....

As I understand it there is no reason why the evidence could not be thought of as everything getting smaller, but there is no possible way of telling because there can be no outside the universe observer, so we go with expanding because it ties in with the rest of our theories on universe development.

Do all parameters change at the same rate if you shrink things? Linear effects change with r, surface effects go as the square, while volume effects go as the cube.

Would that not be the same for expansion as well?

I am struggling to remember where I read something about this, maybe I was dreaming....

For expansion the atoms/molecules themselves don't expand — space does.

Is it possible that the Universe is no larger now than it was the instant it came into existance so instead of space expanding it is in fact matter that is shrinking?

isn't shrinking/collasping matter called a black hole?????

isn't shrinking/collasping matter called a black hole????? Actually the center of a black hole is shrinking as the out most section increases and yes we have a black hole in the center of our own universe, was proven I think in 2005.

isn't shrinking/collasping matter called a black hole?????

isn't shrinking/collasping matter called a black hole????? Actually the center of a black hole is shrinking as the out most section increases and yes we have a black hole in the center of our own universe, was proven I think in 2005.

No, a blackhole is an object with all it's mass within the schwarzschild radius...

Stella Black Holes - Some Myths