What is impossible???

SkepticLance

Interesting article in New Scientist (Australian printed edition 5 April page 36) by Prof. Michio Kaku - theoretical physics at City University of New York - and author of "Physics of the Impossible."

He discusses what scientific and technological developments might occur in the future - which will happen soon, or later, and which are plain impossible. He points out that the history of science is full of luminaries that make lousy predictions. Examples are Lord Kelvin denying that heavier than air flight is possible, claiming that X-rays are a hoax, and that radio has no future. Ernest Rutherford denying that the A bomb will ever be possible.

Prof. Kaku suggests 3 classes of development.

1. That which will be done within decades, or 100 years at latest. Examples include teleportation of small items - up to virus size, and invisibility.

2. That which will happen hundreds or thousands of years in the future. Examples include teleportation of large objects, including humans.

3. That which is totally impossible. Examples include precognition and perpetual motion machines.

He discusses other interesting 'impossibilities' such as time travel, telepathy (assisted by electronic implants), travel through wormholes etc.

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now I`m s`posed to say Oh Gosh! there is Nothing Impossible.

but I`m like, Naahhhh.....

I didn't say that. I doubt you'll ever find a way to touch your real right elbow (not a photo or other representation) with your real right index finger without chopping something off.

I didn't say that. I doubt you'll ever find a way to touch your real right elbow (not a photo or other representation) with your real right index finger without chopping something off.

Snapping. You can also do it with snapping.

I still have yet to see how someone can even theoretically fold space like a piece of paper. There still remains all of this matter in between, even moreso now that we include dark matter. It just doesn't fold the right way. It's like folding a giant piece of rubber. It just never meets up the same way. It just won't flatten out. Maybe it's just me.