HIV pandemic

With our ethnics regarding sex eroding with time, how far are we from a world where HIV becomes so rampant that it has infected at least 50% to 75% of the world?

And what kind of conditions will allow this to happen and how will life be like in such a society before, during and after the pandemic?

That kind of infection rate could destroy our advanced civilization (if it cut down life spans so much that its not worth finishing college). Or it would drastically speed up the search for a cure for HIV (actually well before such an epidemic).

Or, we might see the delta 32 mutation become near universal very rapidly.

(if it cut down life spans so much that its not worth finishing college).

Well the problem is that nowadays the age of puberty is getting younger. Now even grade school kids are clouded with desires of lust much earlier than the previous generation. A childish mentality and a uncontrollable urge caused by raging hormone make them commit blunders that will make some of them "grow" into responsible adults but then the scars from such a "childhood" can be permanent. I have a friend who volunteered among HIV patients and he mentioned that nowadays HIV patients can be as young as 14!

Well the problem is that nowadays the age of puberty is getting younger. Now even grade school kids are clouded with desires of lust much earlier than the previous generation.
I just recently saw a study cited that shows US youth is putting off losing their virginities later than previous generations. I'll try to find it and post it.

I don't see evidence of out ethics declining with time. I'm sure the Romans were better at organising orgies than we are now (No, I can't prove that).

There seems to be evidence that people are waiting longer to have sex.

Even if it were the case then there's another factor; people are not actually stupid. If the rates of HIV ever got anything like that high, people would start being more careful about their sexual behaviour.

• 3 months later...
That kind of infection rate could destroy our advanced civilization (if it cut down life spans so much that its not worth finishing college). Or it would drastically speed up the search for a cure for HIV (actually well before such an epidemic).

Or, we might see the delta 32 mutation become near universal very rapidly.

On the delta 32 comment, does anyone know why it is present is approx 18% of all humans of European ancestry? I know the hypothesis of this allele giving rise to immunity towards the plague has not been confirmed, and tests done on rats suggested this to be false.

With our ethnics regarding sex eroding with time, how far are we from a world where HIV becomes so rampant that it has infected at least 50% to 75% of the world?

And what kind of conditions will allow this to happen and how will life be like in such a society before, during and after the pandemic?

It will never get that high. In fact, it's already declining in places where sex education is common and contraceptives are widely available. For example, infection rates in the United States peaked in 1996.

I would also disagree that it has anything to do with "sexual ethics," or that they're eroding with time. If anything, irresponsible sex is less socially acceptable than it's ever been. But I guess we probably have different ideas of what good "sexual ethics" are.

Edited by Sisyphus

I had a professor who told us he was astounded how AIDs changed attitudes regarding sex.

In the 60's the birth control pill 'liberated' women from pregnancy without a condom, and so it marked a new age in sexual freedom and experimentation.

Throughout the 80s and 90s, a greater understanding of health and STDs and especially AIDs prompted a different type of sex ed in schools.

According to my professor's observations, teens and college aged people are much more mature and responsible about their decisions regarding sex and sexual partners.

In places where AIDs is a continual plague, it stems largely from lack of education and poverty, and not morality (as far as I can tell).